Sarah- There are different versions of Chicken jelfrezi. It is widely popular in Pakistani culture. I have been making this recipe for 10 years so a lot of trial and error have already happened. This recipe is easy yet delicious. The blend of peppers and spices makes a makes a perfect combination.
It is mainly prepared with chicken or you can substitute Paneer. If you are a vegetarian I would recommend using paneer, and yes I have made this recipe with paneer, or use fish. The recipe is gluten-free. My husband loves this recipe. It is usually dry but he loves this in a curry form. Some people add tomatoes to their recipe but i prefer not to add them. This recipe goes well with white boiled rice. Vaquas tried it with chapati but I personally loves eating recommend eating with rice. Garnish it with chopped cilantro leaves. I usually chop and freeze the bell pepper ahead of time so when the time come to cook chicken jelfrezi, I just quickly mix it in the pot and cook it. It saves time.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. This recipe is a hit in my household as well as my parents’. This recipe is only good for 3 days after it is cooked. I wouldn’t recommend having it on the 4th day. This recipe is toddler friendly like as always. Our daughter loves it. It takes less than 35 minutes to come together, It’s a perfect weeknight meal. We hope you enjoy this quick recipe. I hope you give this recipe a try. As always, if you try any of our recipes be sure to tag us on instagram @twoclovesinapot. Find us on Pinterest too @twoclovesinapot. We value honest feedback. Lastly, we hope you enjoyed our very first blog post.
- 1 lbs chicken thigh cubed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 bell peppers finely chopped
- 2 green peppers finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1½ tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- salt as needed
- cilantro to garnish
- In a medium size pot on medium high heat, heat the oil.
- Add onion and sauté the onion until golden or transluent.
- Next add the ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Add cumin seeds and mix.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and sauté for 1 minutes.
- Add peppers and cook them 5-7 minutes or until they are tender.
- Add 1/3 cup of water and mix.
- Add chicken then cover and cook on medium to low flame for 25 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- At this time, water should have almost dried up now add in 1/2-1 cup of water mix well. Let it simmer for 2 minutes then turn off the stove.
- Serve it with white basmati rice.