Sarah – This is our toddler’s favorite dish in the world. oh yes! We are parents to a beautiful little girl! Before she left for Pre-School in the morning, she told me to please make Black Daal for me. So I had no choice but to make it for her. It’s toddler approved recipe. This is one of my favorite recipes from childhood also. it’s so yummy if you’re a non- desi reading this blog post. I encourage you to make it. You won’t be disappointed.
Black Daal is tasty, full of protein, and other nutrients. It’s light to eat and easy to digest. It’s a perfect weeknight meal very satisfying and very filling. Serve it with white rice to make it a complete combination. Moreover, I like to have it with chapati and mango pickle. To top off this yummy it taste so good when you put the Tarka (tempering) in there. Tarka is a cooking method used in south asian cuisines. Tarka or tempering is a the procedure where one takes whole spices such as: chopped garlic, dired chilies, whole coriander seeds, chopped green peppers, curry leaves, baby leaves, or other kinds of whole spices and roasted briefly in oil. It unlashes essential oil from the cells and thus enhance the tastes and aroma of the food.
Instant Pot Black Daal
- 1.5 cups black dal
- 2 cups water or 1 inch above the daal
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 medium onion cut roughly in 5 pieces
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp tamarind concentrate paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 curry leaves
- 1/2 onion finely silced
- 1/2 green pepper finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mint roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp cilantro roughly chopped (optional)
- Add in the lentil and water in the instant pot.
- Add in salt, turmeric, red chili powder, onion, and ginger garlic paste.
- Mix well and Turn the Instant Pot on; select Multigrain setting set for 15 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, let the air vent and open the lid.
- Add in tarmarind and add water to the until your desired consitency.
- In a fry pan, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add in the onion fry it until golden brown. Add in the remainder of the tarka ingredients and fry them for 2 minutes.
- Then pour it on top of the daal.
- Serve it with white Rice.