Sarah– This recipe is all about combining two lentils and coming up with one of great taste. It’s an easy and quick recipe. Ever since I was a kid, Daal Chawal (rice) has always been my favorite. This recipe is toddler approved.
The Tarka/Bhagaar (tempering) is a finishing touch that enhance the flavor. Tarka is a cooking method used in south asian cuisines. Tarka is a procedure where one takes whole spices such as: chopped garlic, dried red chilies, chopped green peppers, curry leaves, cumin and sauteed briefly . I dare you to make this daal with and without the tarka you will see how essential it is for enhancing the flavor. I love garnishing with fresh chopped cilantro leaves.
This recipe is a hit in our household. This recipe is filled with protein, fiber, and nutrients. It’s easy on the tummy for digestion. It’s vegetarian and gluten-free. When I’m on a diet I just eat it raw with the spoon and it tastes splendid; on regular days I love it with some chapti or rice. Our toddler loves having it with some chopped onion and tomatoes on the side along with salt and pepper and few drops of lemon juice. It takes less than 20 minutes to come together, It’s a perfect weeknight meal. I hope you give this recipe a try. As always, if you try any of our recipes be sure to tag us on instagram @twoclovesinapot. Find us on Pinterest too @twoclovesinapot. we value honest feedback.
Instant Pot Moong and Masoor Dal (lentils)
- 1 cup moong Dal
- 1/2 cup masoor dal
- 4 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 long dried red pepper
- juice of half a lemon
- salt as needed
- 5 cups water
- 5 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 5 garlic cloves
- 6 curry leaves
- In the Instant pot, add lentils, water, Ginger Garlic Paste , salt, crushed red paper, dried long red peppers, and turmeric and mix well!
- Close the lid to the Instant pot, click the multigrain option and set the timer for 10 minutes.
- Vent the air to the Instant pot and open it.
- Add 1 cup of water if the lentil is thick.
- Add lemon juice and mix well!
- Add hot tarka.
- Heat the oil, mix in cumin seeds, garlic, and curry leaves.
- Keep stirring them til they are golden brown.
- Spread it on top of the lentils and mix well!