Sarah– This recipe is all about combining two lentils and coming up with one of great taste. It’s my Instant Pot Moong and Masoor Dal recipe. It’s an easy and quick recipe. Ever since I was a kid, Daal Chawal (rice) has always been my favorite. This recipe is toddler approved.
WHAT IS INSTANT POT MOONG AND MASOOR DAL?
It’s combination of two lentils that are moong and masoor. It consists of few seasonings. It’s not spicy at all. I will put a link to moong and masoor. I have attached both links for the dal so you can find them easily. Moong is a yellow colored dal and Masoor is a red colored dal. however, when you combine them that’s when the magic happens. A plate or bowl nothing about goodness.
WHAT IS TARKA/TAMERING?
The Tarka/Bhagaar (tempering) is a finishing touch that enhance the flavor. Tarka is a cooking method used in south asian cuisines. Tarka is a procedure where one takes whole spices such as: chopped garlic, dried red chilies, chopped green peppers, curry leaves, cumin and sauteed briefly . I dare you to make this daal with and without the tarka you will see how essential it is for enhancing the flavor. I love garnishing with fresh chopped cilantro leaves.
HOW TO PREPARE INSTANT POT MOONG MASOOR DAL?
- In the Instant pot, add lentils, water, ginger garlic paste , salt, red chili flakes, dried long red peppers, Maggie chicken cube , and turmeric and mix well.
- Close the lid to the Instant pot.
- Click the pressure cooker option and set the timer for 10 minutes.
- After ten minutes, vent the air to the Instant Pot and open it. Now add 1 cup of water if the lentil is thick
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
SOME FACTS ABOUT MOONG MASOOR DAL!
This recipe is a hit in our household. This recipe is filled with protein, fiber, and nutrients. It’s easy on the tummy for digestion. It’s vegetarian and gluten-free. When I’m on a diet I just eat it raw with the spoon and it tastes splendid; on regular days I love it with some chapti or rice. Our toddler loves having it with some chopped onion and tomatoes on the side along with salt and pepper and few drops of lemon juice.
This recipe It takes less than 20 minutes to come together, It’s a perfect weeknight meal. I hope you give this recipe a try. For more recipes like this please checkout the following links Whole Masoor Dal (The Best), Mash Ki Daal (Dhaba Style) and Zucchini Curry . If you have any questions about our recipes, techniques, or you just want to say hi! Please feel free to message us. As always, if you try any of our recipes be sure to tag us on instagram @twoclovesinapot. Find us on Pinterest too, @twoclovesinapot. Please subscribe to our newsletter. We value honest feedback.
Instant Pot Moong and Masoor Dal
- 1 cup moong Dal
- 1/2 cup masoor dal
- 4 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 long dried red pepper
- 1 cube Maggie Chicken Coullion Known as Chicken Cube
- juice of half a lemon
- salt as needed
- 5 cups water
- 5 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 5 garlic cloves
- 6 curry leaves
- In the Instant pot, add lentils, water, ginger garlic paste , salt, red pepper flake, dried long red peppers, and turmeric and mix well!
- Close the lid to the Instant pot.
- Click the Pressure Cooker option and set the timer for 10 minutes.
- Vent the air to the Instant pot and open it.
- Add 1 cup of water.
- Add lemon juice and mix well!
- Heat the oil, mix in cumin seeds, garlic, and curry leaves.
- Keep stirring them til they are golden brown.
- Spread it on top of the lentils and mix well!