Vaquas – Hi everyone, This week I’m going to bring you the recipe of Nihari recipe. It’s originated from New Delhi. Sarah tells me her paternal grand father used to love Nihari; he used to say “subha nihari, sham nihari na rahe dukh na bemari” meaning “Nihari during day and at night because of it I have no sadness and illness.” Nihari is usually cooked overnight and eaten for breakfast. There’s an amazing kind of warmth that run through your body after eating Nihari.
The main ingredient of nihari is atta (flour) and the amount is very crucial to the recipe because it brings the original texture of Nihari like it should be. Many people make nihari but can’t get the texture, well I assure you if you follow my recipe that won’t be an issue. We were true Delhi-wallas (people from Delhi) we know how to make the perfect Nihari. We usually make Nihari with a beef shank. It’s a portion of the meat around the tibia, beneath the animal’s knee. People also make it with chicken, goat, or lamb.
This recipe is one of our favorites. Sarah tells me I get better each time when I cook Nihari. As always this recipe is also toddler approved. I hope you give this recipe a try. As always, if you try any of our recipes be sure to tag us on instagram @twoclovesinapot. Find us on Pinterest too @twoclovesinapot. we value honest feedback.
- 2 lbs beef shank
- 1 packet shan nihari masala
- 2 onion finely sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 black peppercorns
- 5 cloves
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 cup atta (south asian flour)
- 4 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- olive oil extra virgin
- cilantro chopped
- garlic finely chopped
- green pepper finely chopped
- fried onions
- Turn on the Instant Pot, select sauté setting. Add 2 1/2 cups of water bring it to a boil.
- Add in Ginger Garlic Paste , beef shank, 1/2 onion, and 1/2 of the Shan masala; now select the meat option and pressure it for 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, In a pot, on medium heat, Add 1.5 cup of olive oil and 1.5 onion finely sliced.
- When the onion turns golden brown. Take out half of the fried onion and set it aside for garnish.
- In the same pot, that has the fried onion mixture, Add cumin seeds, black peppercorns, cloves, and green cardamom pods. Sauté it for 2 minutes.
- Add in the cooked beef from the IP to the pot. Make sure you leave the beef stock in the IP.
- Add 1 tbsp of Ginger Garlic Paste , remaining 1/2 of the Shan Masala Packet to the pot. Let everything cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the beef stock from the IP to the pot and mix well.
- In a bowl, add Atta and 2 cups luke warm water and mix it well; there should not be any lumps.
- Now add the Atta mixture to the pot and mix well.
- Let it cook for 15 minutes until the oil comes up.
- Add in garam masala powder.
- Cover the pot and turn off the heat and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Dish it out and place the fried onion, cilantro, lemon, green peppers, and ginger at top for garnish as shown in the pictures above.
- Serve it with Naan.