Vaquas: This week I’m here to give you Khatti Meethi Chutney recipe. It is a South Asian dip. This is a New Delhi street food chutney. It’s delicious yet tangy. This is one of the recipes that reminds me of my childhood days with my mom. She’d always have serval batches in the fridge and freezer for us.
If you have solid tamarind instead of tamarind concentrated paste be sure to soak the solid tamarind over overnight and take out the seeds. Also, if you have extra jaggery left over, store in the freezer for future use. Most people don’t use ginger powder in this chutney but to me the ginger powder (sonth) makes a huge difference, It gives a unique flavor in this chutney. Lastly, I have used black salt; I truly love black salt I believe it can change a taste of a dish from being great to being AMAZING! like I have said in the pervious post don’t over use it to intensify the taste it can harm the body.
This chutney is traditionally goes along with South Asian appetizers but also goes with spring rolls, chicken nuggets, chicken strips, and many other non-South Asian appetizers. Our toddler loves this chutney, sometimes she just want to drink it raw. This chutney is toddler approved. I hope you give this recipe a try. As always, if you try any of our recipes be sure to tag us on instagram @twoclovesinapot. Find us on Pinterest too @twoclovesinapot. we value honest feedback.
Khatti Meethi Chutney
- 1 cup jaggery powder or solid
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds dry roasted
- 5 black peppercorns dry roasted
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp corn flour (optional)
- a pinch red color
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp tamarind concentrated paste
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- In a saucepan, on medium heat, Add in water and jeggary and mix it until the jaggery gets dissolve in water.
- Bring the jeggary mixture to a boil.
- Add in tamarind and mix well.
- Add in red chili powder, black salt, cumin seeds, ginger powder, black peppercorns, red color, fennel seeds and mix it well.
- Cook it for 5 minutes.
- Add in the cornflour if you want at this point.
- Let it cool down for 20 minutes.
- In a blender, add in the cool chutney and blend it for 2 minutes.