Vaquas – Hey guys, I’m back with a brand new recipe. It’s Gajar Ka Halwa (carrot dessert) recipe. It’s one of favorite dessert recipes. It’s quick and easy comes together in less than 30 minutes. It’s really flavorful and rich. I remember my mother making this recipe as a youngest child I used to watch her work and observe this recipe in my mind from childhood.
HOW TO GRATE THE CARROTS PROPERLY?
I am more of a traditional guy, I love to grade carrots with a good old grater. I prefer it better than using a food processor. The carrots come out thinner when using a manual grate. However, times have change and I don’t have time to grate them manually so now I use a food processor.
WHICH DRY FRUITS GO TRADITIONALLY IN KAJAR KA HALWA?
I see a lot of people just use random dry fruits in the halwa but you only need almonds. I personally mix it within the halwa. Mix the dry fruits and the khoya together within the halwa. Let me tell you another thing khoya is a game changer in this halwa. If you try to eat it without khoya you will taste the difference.
How much milk?
Gajar Ka Halwa doesn’t require that much milk. However, the milk has to be warm. This recipe will call for 5 lbs of carrots, you are only going to use 1/2 cup of milk in it. Lets suppose you use 2.5 lbs of carrots, you would only use 1/4 cups of milk.
Few Points When Making Gajar Ka Halwa
- Get use to stirring a lot i mean continuously through out this recipe.
- I promise you it will take 30 minutes of cooking time.
- Please add warm milk and add the quantity that recipe ask for don’t be generous when adding milk.
- Use khoya and almonds only no walnuts, cashews, or pistachios.
- Get ready to fight your family for the last bite of the halwa.
Gajar Ka Halwa (carrot halwa or dessert)
- 5 lbs carrots peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- almonds silvered (garnish)
- 2-3 cups sugar
- Peel and grate carrots
- In a medium size pot, on medium to low heat, add in ghee let it melt.
- Add in green cardamon pods and saute it for 30 seconds.
- Add in carrots and mix it continuously for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the sugar mix it continuously for 3 minutes.
- Now add in the warm milk, mix it continuously until the milk dries and the carrots get fully cook.
- Add in the khoya and mix well.
- Turn off the stove, bring it to warm temprature if you want to serve it hot or placed in the fridge and garnish with almonds.