Vaquas- Hi everyone, I’m back with a new recipe. It is Khatte Baingan (Tangy eggplants) I can’t tell you how special is this to me. My mom used to make this exactly this way. This is another recipe that has my whole childhood stored. Khatte Baingan is a tangy recipe the tomatoes and spices infused give your tastebuds a ride of their life. Khatte Baingan is an Indian dish. In India, it’s made throughout India. Everybody has a different way of making this dish. I’m going to share how it’s made in my family.
First unique step in Khatte Baingan is that you’re suppose to soak it in salt water so the sourness of the eggplants open to infused the paste. For this Khatte baingan recipe I am using baby egg plants, I have never used the big egg plants for this recipe so if you have big egg plants so just double or triple the quantity of the paste.
This Khatte Baingan recipe is easy and delicious. It’s absolutely delicious. I hope you give this recipe a try. For more recipes like this please checkout the following links: Instant Pot Gobi Gosht (Cauliflower and Meat Curry) and Lauki Gosht (Bottle Gourd and Meat Curry) .If you have any questions about our recipes, techniques, or you just want to say hi! Please feel free to message us. As always, if you try any of our recipes be sure to tag us on instagram @twoclovesinapot. Find us on Pinterest too, @twoclovesinapot. Please subscribe to our newsletter. We value honest feedback.
Khatte Baingan (Tangy Eggplants)
- 10 baby egg plants
eggplant stuffing paste
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- 1/2 tsp nigella seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp tamarind concentrated paste
- 2 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tomatoes chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 serrano pepper roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
- red chili powder as needed
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- salt as needed
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 bunch cilantro to garnish
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 black peppercorns
- 3 cloves
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 2 black cardamoms
- 1 tsp tamarind concentrated paste
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Make cross slit marks on egg plants and cut it half way.
- Fill a large bowl with salt and water, place the slitted eggplants in it.
- Keep it for 20 minutes
- Combine the stuffing paste ingridents and make a paste.
- Use a butterknife to apply inside the egg plants.
Grill the egg plants
- Preheat the oven on 475 broil.
- Place it in a baking dish, oil the baking dish from the bottom then place the stuffed egg plants in it, then sprinkle oil on top.
- Place the baking dish on the top rack. Let it broil for 10 minutes then take it out and turn the egg plants over to the other side, and place it back in the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and set it aside.
- In a wok or a pot, on medium heat, Add olive oil let it heat up.
- Next add in cumin seeds, black peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, black cardamom, and green cardamon pods. Saute it.
- Next add in onion until it's transluscent.
- Add the serrano peppers and saute it all together.
- Add the tomatoes and mix them well.
- Add in the ginger and garlic and mix well.
- When the consistency is like a gravy then add in red chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder, garam masala, salt, half of the fenugreek leaves and half of the cinlantro. Mix well.
- Cover the wok or the pot for 5 minutes.
- Add some water, and cover it up for 2 minutes.
- Uncover it and place the broil egg plants in the wok or pot with your gravy.
- Mix them well, and cook it on medium to low flame for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and fenugreek leaves.
Much Love and Stay Safe!