Sarah- Hi everyone, I’m back with my Achari Keema (tangy ground beef) recipe. This recipe is what we ate during ramadan and on Eid day. This recipe is very close to me heart. I vaguely remember my Eids in Pakistan, because we moved to the States when I was little. In Pakistan, my family made a big deal when Eid came, we would get up, take a shower and get dressed in the finest outfits to get our eidi from the adults. Of course after all the men in our family came from Eid prayer. We would wait for them to get home. Then we would hug them 3 times to get our Eidi. Indulge in food all day long, relatives will be coming and going. Keema was part of our Eid table in Pakistan.
Now coming to the US Eid, I remember before we all leave for prayers, (typing this out makes me emotional because I’m not going home (Kansas) this Eid.) my mom would cook Keema along with Sheer Qorma. We all have to take a bite before leaving for eid prayers. After we come back, we would call our relatives back in Pakistan, (calling overseas was a big deal then) after that we (my siblings and I) would tell our papa that you have to give us eidi from all the relatives. Hehe. Then we would leave our home to visit Eid open houses (that’s the term that we use in Kansas where a family would invite other families to come brunch or eat dinner on Eid day.) They are big gatherings. My parents hosted last year on Eid, and Keema was on the menu.
This year’s Eid is very different, I honestly not looking forward to it at all. I miss my family. I was suppose to go home this Eid too, but Covid 19 happened. Nevertheless, even on this Eid, I’d would bring Keema to our Eid table.
What is Achari Keema?
Achari Keema is flavorful and aromatic dish with a tangy taste. It’s mainly stuffed green peppers mixed in ground beef that consists of a tomato curry infused with some whole spices. It can be served with naan or chapati.
Can you cook Achari Keema with ground chicken or lamb?
I haven’t tried this recipe with ground lamb but sometimes my wife makes it with ground chicken. if you try it with ground lamb message us and let us know how you like it. I personally prefer it with ground beef. some people like to include vegetables in this recipe, but I like it by itself. Achari Keema is tangy and delicious you have to try it.
Achari Keema is mouthwatering. It will satisfy your tangy craving for sure. I hope you give this recipe a try. For more recipes like this please checkout the following links: Lauki Gosht (Bottle Gourd and Meat Curry) , Bhindi Ki Sabzi (Okra Curry) , and Instant Pot Gobi Gosht (Cauliflower and Meat Curry). If you have any questions about our recipes, techniques, or you just want to say hi! Please feel free to message us. As always, if you try any of our recipes be sure to tag us on instagram @twoclovesinapot. Find us on Pinterest too, @twoclovesinapot. Please subscribe to our newsletter. We value honest feedback.
- salt as needed
- a pinch garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp nigella seeds kalongi
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds crushed
- 2 tsp funnel seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 green peppers slitted in the middle
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- 1 lbs ground beef (keema)
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup yogurt whipped
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder
- salt as needed according to your taste
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 1 black cardamoms
- 1 black peppercorns
- fresh cilantro to garnish
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- Add coriandar seeds in a motar pestle and crush it.
- Once it's crushed add to a small bowl and then add the other ingredients from the spice mixture section above.
- now stuffed half of the mixture in 2 green pepper that are slitted in the middle, and set aside.
- On medium heat, in a medium size pot, add in the oil.
- Heat the oil, then add in onions, saute it until they are translucent.
- Add in the keema and the ginger garlic paste.
- Saute it for 5 minutes.
- Add in the remaining spice mixture (that we made earlier) along with yogurt, tomatoes, whole spices, turmeric, salt, red chili powder and mix it.
- Let it cook for 7-9 minutes.
- Now place the stuffed green pepper on top.
- Cover it turn it on medium low and let it cook for 10minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and fresh lemon juice.