Sarah- I’m back with another recipe, this one is unique because I haven’t given out any oriental recipes. However, that’s going to change today with my Kung Pao Chicken recipe. It’s easy, delicious, comes together in 50 minutes. This recipe is perfect for a weeknight meal. Kung Pao Chicken is a very popular dish in East Asia as well as America. There are different variation, and I’m here to share my version.
What is Kung Pao Chicken?
Kung Pao Chicken is a stir-fry. It doesn’t have a lot of sauce but the flavors gather in your mouth to give you an unique taste. Kung Pao chicken is a spicy stir-fried Chinese dish with chicken, dried red chili peppers, peanuts and vegetables of your choice. This is originated by Sichuan Province of China. Although, it’s originally a Chinese dish, It’s widely popular in America.
How do you Tenderize the chicken?
The marination you are going to do for the chicken will play a key role in tenderizing the chicken. Two main ingredient for tenderizing the chicken is corn starch and the egg. Some people also use baking soda. however, I always used the corn starch and an egg.
How Do you stir fry the chicken so it cooks well?
Well, you have to cook at medium to low heat for 15 minutes stir occasionally. There is another healthier option if you want to give this a try, you can bake it at 450 degrees for 25 minutes. It’s up to you whatever your preference is.
Kung Pao Chicken is yummy, and filled with east asian spicy flavors. I hope you give this recipe a try. I hope you try my other delicious recipes like: Chicken Bread , Bruschetta , and Garlic Butter Mushrooms . If you have any questions about our recipes, techniques, or you just want to say hi! Please feel free to message us. As always, if you try any of our recipes be sure to tag us on instagram @twoclovesinapot. Find us on Pinterest too, @twoclovesinapot. Please subscribe to our newsletter. We value honest feedback.
Kung Pao Chicken
- 1 lbs chicken cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 egg
- 1/2 tsp corn starch with 1 tsp water (mixed)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tsp water
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- 2 tbsp vegatable
Vegetables and Seasonings
- 6 dried long red pepper
- 3 spring onion chopped
- 3/4 cup peanuts dry roasted
- 1 red bell pepper
- salt as needed
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 sprig spring onions chopped
- 1 serrano pepper chopped
- 1/2 tsp sriracha
- Take all the ingreidents from the marnination section and mix them together.
- Leave it for 15 minutes.
- Add vegetable oil and 1 tbsp sesame oil to the wok on medium heat, let it get heated properly.
- Add chicken, let it cook for 10 minutes with stiring occsionally then add 1 tbsp sesame oil, and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Take it out in a bowl and set it aside.
- Combine the ingreident for the sauce in a bowl mix and set aside.
Finally Cooking Everything together
- In the same wok that you cook the chicken in, add in the 1 tbsp sesame oil, peanuts, bell pepper, serrano pepper, 1 sprig green onion, long dried red pepper. Saute it until the bell pepper is tender.
- Add the chicken, the sauce and mix well.
- add the hoisin sauce, sriracha, salt, and red chili powder.
- Mix everything together.
- Garnish with remaining spring onions.
- Serve with Jasmine rice.