Sarah- I’m back with the brand new recipe, it’s my mom’s mutton pulao recipe. It’s easy and a family recipe. Even though mutton pulao is a perfect dish for every occasion but especially on eid ul adha is a must for our eid table. The meat is very tender for this rice dish. The rice are delicately spiced. This recipe is extremely easy. It can be divided into 2 step. First is prepare the mutton (goat) broth and second is the cooking of the rice in that broth. Many people use a muslin clot, to wrapped the whole spices in it, but my mom just strains it. I will elaborate more on my mom’s step in the instruction of this recipe.
What kind of meat should I use?
I used mutton (goat meat) to make this recipe but you can use any meat you want. I have made it with chicken and beef in the past, it tastes great. You can add any type of meat you want, you can even use lamb in this. However, the pressure timings varies on which type of meat you will be using.
What are the steps to be making mutton pulao?
- Like I said in my pervious paragraph that first step is making the stock for the pulao. For stock you just need some hot water now add the whole spices like cinnamon, black cardamom, green cardamom, cloves, black peppercorn, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, funnel seeds, garlic cloves, some pieces of ginger. Next boil these whole spices in water then add the goat meat. Next put pressure until the meat is tender. After that, you stain the meat save the stock water and discards the whole spices.
- Second steps is the fry the onions until they are golden. Add in the ginger garlic paste along with meat sauté in the pot. Now add in the yogurt and let it cook for few minutes. Next add the bay leaves and mix it for few minutes. Add the stock and let it cook for 1 minute. After that you add rice and let it cook uncovered for few minutes. Add hint of the orange color (this step is optional my mom always have done that so I do that) then cover until they are fully done.
What you can pair mutton pulao with?
To be honest, it can stand alone by itself, yes! It’s that delicious. However, you can devour the mutton pulao with some garlic chutney and some raita . Raita is a yogurt mixed with salt, pepper, cilantro, onion, and tomatoes.
It’s so easy and comes together really quickly. Mutton pulao is very delicious and aromatic dish. Be sure to check out more Eid recipes like this one: Nihari , Chicken Malai Tikka , and Kofta curry (meatball curry) . If you have any questions about our recipes, techniques, or you just want to say hi! Please feel free to message us. As always, if you try any of our recipes be sure to tag us on instagram @twoclovesinapot. Find us on Pinterest too, @twoclovesinapot. Please subscribe to our newsletter. We value honest feedback.
Beef Pulao (Pilaf)
- 1 lbs goat cubed
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- salt as needed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 black cardamoms
- 4 green cardamoms
- 5 cloves
- 1 inch ginger roughly chopped with
- 1/2 cup garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp yogurt
- 3 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1/4 tsp orange color optional
- a pinch garam masala powder
- Thoroughly wash basmati rice and soak in water for 30 mins.
- Drain rice & discard the water from the rice.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté mode then pour water bring it to boil.
- Add in salt, ginger,garlic, along with whole spices: funnel seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black cardamon, green cardamom, cinamon, cloves, and black peppercorns.
- Bring all of this to a boil then add in the meat and mix well.
- Cover Instant Pot lid and press the meat option and put pressure for 45 minutes (every Instant Pot model is different my mom's Instant Pot does it in 10 min, so do this according to your IP model's time.) at the end just make sure the meat is fully cooked.
- In a separate pot on stove, on medium heat add oil and sauté onion for 5-7 minutes or until golden.
- Add in bay leaves, ginger garlic paste, and serrano pepper.
- Take out meat from instant pot and transfer it with onion and ginger garlic paste mixture.
- Now add in the yogurt.
- saute it for 5-6 minutes on medium heat until it's fully mixed together and the whiteness of the yogurt dissappears.
- Strain the stock from the IP to a large bowl.
- Add that with the meat mixture.
- Add salt to the mixture and mix well.
- Add rice with meat mixture and mix well.
- Add the garam masala powder.
- Let it all cook for 5-7 min on medium heat.
- Cover the lid on the pot with foil, cover the pot with the foil lid, and put a little pot on top cook it for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Turn the stove to low and let it cook for 10-15 minutes.
- once the water dries, add color if you would like.
- Serve it with raita and serve it hot!