Vaquas – I’m back with a new recipe it’s Aloo matar Keema (Potatoes, Peas and Ground Beef Curry). This is a classic in every SouthAsian household. It’s mainly originated in North India and spread through Pakistan. My mom used to cook this recipe at least once every few weeks. My mom made this Pakistani style curry. This falls under the category of comfort food, so therefore it is the ultimate comfort food in our household. Aloo Matar Keema is a curry that mixed in whole spices and seasonings along with tomatoes and yogurt.
WHAT IS ALLO MATAR KEEMA?
Aloo Matar Keema (Potatoes, Peas, and Ground Beef Curry) is a delicious curry. My mom had an unique way of making this famous curry that I’d like to share with you all. The secret step is explain below. Aloo matar keema is a mixed of whole spices and seasonings along with yogurt and tomatoes.
WHAT IS THE SECRET STEP IN ALOO MATAR KEEMA?
The secret step is sautéing potatoes and peas together with salt and olive oil. All I can say, you would taste the difference. They won’t become soggy, they will be very perfect.
TWO CLOVES IN A POT EXPERT TIPS
- Sauté the potatoes and peas beforehand and keep it aside.
- Add yogurt and tomatoes.
- Add whole spices (but you can get mortar & pestles and crush them if you aren’t a big fan of whole spices.)
- Cook the beef well.
CAN I COOK IN GROUND TURKEY, LAMB, OR CHICKEN?
Frankly, I have not cooked in grounded turkey, lamb or chicken, but you’re more than welcome to use any kind of grounded meat and also I would just decrease the water quantity if you’re using grounded chicken just decrease the quantity of the water to 1/2 a cup for 1 pound.
Aloo matar keema is a mixed of whole spices and seasonings along with yogurt and tomatoes. It’s my ultimate comfort food, that I can have all day. If you want more SouthAsian recipe be sure to check out recipes like: Kofta curry (meatball curry) , Chicken Malai Tikka , Mutton Pulao . If you have any questions about our recipes, techniques, or you just want to say hi! Please feel free to message us. As always, if you try any of our recipes be sure to tag us on instagram @twoclovesinapot. Find us on Pinterest too, @twoclovesinapot. Please subscribe to our newsletter. We value honest feedback.
Aloo Matar Keema (Potatoes, Peas, and Ground Beef Curry)
- 3 potatoes skinless and cubed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup peas frozen
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp nigella seeds kalongi
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 4 black peppercorns
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 long dried red chili
- salt as needed
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- fresh lemon juice for garnish
- cilantro for garnish
- serrano peppers for garnish
- 1 cup water or as needed
- Cut the potatoes in large chunks like cube.
- Heat a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tbsp oil, add 1/4 tsp salt, potatoes and peas and sauté for 5 minutes. Keep stirring constantly.
- Take peas and potatoes out and set it aside.
- In the same pot, heat add in 2 tbsp oil once hot on medium heat, add onion and sauté it until golden.
- Once golden, add the cumin seeds, nigella seeds, corinander seeds, cloves, black peppercorns, green cardamom pods and mix well for 10 seconds.
- Add ginger garlic paste for mix it for 30 seconds.
- Now add the ground beef to the pot and mix well for 5 minutes.
- Add in dried long red pepper, turmeric, coriander powder, garam masala powder, and salt and mix well for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and yogurt and mix well.
- When the ground beef is 80% cooked add 1/2 glass of water IF necessary at this point.
- Add the potatoes, mix well for 5 minutes, then cover the pot on medium to low heat for 10 minutes.
- Now add in the peas, mix well.
- Adjust the salt according to your taste and Add in 1 cup of water and mix well.
- Cover the pot for 2-3 minutes.
- Uncover the pot, and garnish it with fresh lemon juice, seranno pepper, and fresh cilantro.
- Serve it hot with a fresh paratha or chapati.