Vaquas- Hi everyone, I’m back with a new recipe. It’s Khatte Baigan (Tangy eggplants). I can’t tell you how special is this to me. My mom used to make this exactly this way. This is another recipe that has my whole childhood stored. Khatte Baigan is a tangy recipe the tomatoes and spices infused give your tastebuds a ride of their life. Khatte Baigan is an Indian dish. In India, it’s made throughout India. Everybody has a different way of making this dish. I’m going to share how it’s made in my family.
WHAT IS KHATTE BAIGAN (TANGY EGGPLANTS)?
Khatte Baigan (tangy eggplants) is a vegetarian curry. The masala infused eggplant baked on broil, Then throw together in a tomato based curry to give your tastebuds a tangy flavor. This dish is a perfect dish for all the vegetarian and a real treat for the non-vegetarian. Khatte Baigan is a Kashmiri dish. It goes back to 1500s a war broke out to invade India. Taimur and his men brought their cooking and unique flavors to India, and Khatte Baigan is one of them.
HOW TO MAKE KHATTE BAIGAN?
Make cross slit marks on egg plants. Fill a large bowl with salt and water, place the slitted eggplants in it. Keep it for 20 minutes. Combine the stuffing paste ingredients and make a paste. Grill the eggplants. Preheat the oven on 475 broil. Let it broil and set aside. In a wok add olive oil let it heat up. Next add in whole spices. Next add in onion until it’s translucent. Add the serrano peppers and sauté it. Now add tomatoes and mix them well. Add in the ginger and garlic. When the consistency is like a gravy then add in powder spices half of the fenugreek leaves and half of the cilantro. Cover the wok or the pot for 5 minutes. Add some water, and cover it. Uncover it and place the broil eggplants in the wok with your gravy. Garnish with cilantro and fenugreek leaves.
WHAT KIND OF EGGPLANTS SHOULD I USE FOR THIS RECIPE?
The eggplants that should be used in this recipe are the baby egg plants. That would work best with this recipe. I have never tried them with big eggplants. However, if you try do let me know how you like it.
This Khatte Baingan recipe is easy and delicious. It’s absolutely delicious. I hope you give this recipe a try. For more recipes like this please checkout the following links: Instant Pot Gobi Gosht (Cauliflower and Meat Curry) , Authentic Mutton Karahi (Karahi Gosht) , and Lauki Gosht (Bottle Gourd and Meat Curry) .If you have any questions about our recipes, techniques, or you just want to say hi! Please feel free to message us. As always, if you try any of our recipes be sure to tag us on instagram @twoclovesinapot. Find us on Pinterest too, @twoclovesinapot. Please subscribe to our newsletter. We value honest feedback.
Khatte Baigan (Tangy Eggplants)
- 10 baby eggplants
Eggplant Stuffing Paste
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- 1/2 tsp nigella seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp tamarind concentrated paste
- 2 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 serrano pepper roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
- red chili powder as needed
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- salt as needed
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (finely chopped) to garnish and place it in the curry on step 7
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 black peppercorns
- 3 cloves
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 2 black cardamoms
- 1 tsp tamarind concentrated paste
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
Eggplant Water Mixture
- Make cross slit marks on eggplants and cut it half way.
- Fill a large bowl with salt and water, place the slitted eggplants in it.
- Keep it for 20 minutes
- Combine the stuffing paste ingridents and make a paste.
- Use a butterknife to apply inside the egg plants.
Grill the Eggplants
- Preheat the oven on 475 broil.
- Place it in a baking dish, oil the baking dish from the bottom then place the stuffed eggplants in it, then sprinkle oil on top.
- Place the baking dish on the top rack. Let it broil for 10 minutes.
- Next take it out and turn the eggplants over to the other side, and place it back in the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and set it aside.
- In a wok or a pot, on medium heat, Add olive oil let it heat up.
- Next add in cumin seeds, black peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, black cardamom, and green cardamon pods. Sauté them.
- Next add in onion until it's transluscent.
- Add the serrano peppers and sauté them all together.
- Add the tomatoes and mix them well.
- Add in the ginger and garlic and mix well.
- When the consistency is like a gravy then add in red chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder, garam masala, salt, half of the fenugreek leaves and half of the cinlantro. Mix well.
- Cover the wok or the pot for 5 minutes.
- Add some water, and cover it up for 2 minutes.
- Uncover it and place the broil eggplants in the wok or pot with your gravy.
- Mix them well, and cook it on medium to low flame for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and fenugreek leaves.
- Serve it hot with a naan.
Much Love and Stay Safe!