Sarah- I’m back with a new recipe. This is ultimate Mahrani (queen) of Karahis It’s my Chicken Karahi Recipe- Pakistani Style. I consider Mutton Karahi the king of Karahi recipes so that’s why Chicken Karahi is my queen of Karahi. Authentic Chicken Karahi is a dish from North Indian and Pakistani cuisine. The Pakistani version doesn’t include bell peppers while North Indian version has bell pepper. Karahi has a lot of different version, some people even make it paneer. My Authentic Chicken Karahi is to die for. It’s legit extremely delicious and flavorful. It will keep everyone wanting for seconds and thirds or maybe fourths and fifths. This is the ultimate restaurant style Chicken Karahi if this doesn’t remind you of Pakistani restaurant karahi that you eat in Karachi on superhighway.
WHAT IS KARAHI?
Authentic Chicken Karahi is chicken wrapped around a tomato based curry but you don’t want to include a lot of tomatoes, just the right amount. Although you’re going to include some tomato paste as well. However, you should let the seasonings and spices do their chemistry in order to bring an authentic and that authentic flavor to your table. This recipe requires only 2 tomatoes. Karahi is made in an iron-steel wok.
HOW TO PREPARE MASALA FOR AUTHENTIC CHICKEN KARAHI – PAKISTANI STYLE?
In a fry pan, on medium heat, dry roast dried red pepper, corinander seeds, black peppercorn, cumin seeds. Cool it down for 5 minutes and crush them in a mortar & pestle. Set it aside.
HOW TO COOK AUTHENTIC CHICKEN KARAHI – PAKISTANI STYLE?
In a wok, add oil, and add in the slit seranno peppers, black cardamom, green cardamon pods, cinnamon stick and sauté it. Next add the onion, sauté it until they get translucent. Ginger garlic paste and mix it. Next add chicken Karahi Masala (that you made earlier) and mix well. Next add tomatoes. Add 2 tbsp tomato paste, 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste, add 1-1/2 tsp of karahi masala, 2 tsp red chili powder, salt, 1 tbsp lemon juice, garam masala powder, cilantro, water, chicken cube and coriander powder . Mix everything well. Now add the remaining of the Karahi masala and mix well. Add 1 more tbsp tomato paste and mix well. Cook it open it on medium heat for 5 minutes. Mix well and cover it and turn your stove on low for 7 minutes. add 1/2 cup of water. Mix it well.
WITH BONE OR WITHOUT BONE?
Authentic Chicken Karahi is usually made in whole chicken however, I personally don’t like whole chicken so I use leg quarter or chicken theigh if I want to make it boneless. Majority of the time I usually use Chicken quarters. Chicken quarters are juicy and flavorful and for me it’s a perfect type of meat for Karahi.
WITH OR WITHOUT YOGURT?
I know many people include yogurt but OH MY GOD! you have to try the without yogurt recipe. However, if you think this recipe is too spicy for your taste you’re more than welcome to add 1/4 yogurt only in that situation, which I think there won’t be point but just in case.
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST AND THE MOST AUTHENTIC CHICKEN KARAHI?
- The masala is the most essential part. Be sure you dry roast the masala and let it cool down before adding to the mortar & pestle or an electric spice grinder.
- Add only two fresh tomatoes, the rest will be tomato paste that will be going in our karahi. by doing that you will packing a alot of flavor in your Karahi.
- Add chicken cube, I can’t tell you how much flavor this add to your karahi.
Authentic Chicken Karahi – Pakistani is one of mine best recipes. I’m extremely proud of it. We have a lot of Pakistani traditional recipes on our blog like: Authentic Kofta Curry (Meatball Curry) , Authentic Mutton Karahi , and Paya Curry (Mutton Trotters) . If you have any questions about our recipes, techniques, recipe request, or you just want to say hi! Please feel free to message us and As always, if you try any of our recipes be sure to tag us on instagram @twoclovesinapot. Find us on Pinterest too, @twoclovesinapot. Please subscribe to our newsletter. We value honest feedback.
Authentic Chicken Karahi
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 dried long red pepper break apart
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 lbs chicken with bone
- ⅓ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 5 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 1 serrano peppers slit
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 2 black cardamom
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 3 tbsp tomatoes paste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ bunch cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- a pinch garam masala
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 chicken stock cube Maggie chicken flavored bouillon
- cilantro finely chopped (for garnish)
- fresh lemon juice (for garnish)
- ginger (julienne) for garnish
- ¼ cup water
- In a fry pan, on medium heat, dry roast dried red pepper, corinander seeds, black peppercorn, cumin seeds. Cool it down for 5 minutes and crush them in a mortar & pestle or a coffee grinder. Set aside.
- In a wok, on medium heat, add oil, and add in the slit seranno pepper, black cardamom, green cardamon pods, and cinnamon stick. Keep stirring as it sizzles for one minute.
- Next add the onion, sauté it until they get translucent (make sure they don't turn brown).
- Add ginger garlic paste and mix it for 30 seconds.
- Next add chicken and 3 tsp Karahi Masala (that you made earlier) and mix well for 2-4 minutes.
- Once the chicken is no longer pink (That's like 25% cooked).
- Add 2 finely chopped tomatoes, and mix well.
- Cook it on medium heat for 7-10 minutes stirring occasionally until tomatoes are all infused. well with the chicken and the oil separates.
- Now turn the stove on low for the next step.
- Add 2 tbsp tomato paste, 1-1/2 tsp of karahi crushed masala (there shouldn't be any karahi masala left), red chili powder, salt, 1 tbsp lemon juice, garam masala powder, 1/2 bunch cilantro, water, chicken cube, 1/3 cup of water, and coriander powder. Mix everything well.
- Now turn the stove on medium heat.
- Let it cook for 20 minutes.
- Now cover the wok and let it cook for 15 min on low.
- Add 1 more tbsp tomato paste and mix well.
- Cook it open it on low heat for 5 minutes.
- If it's getting too dry add 1/4 cup of water if necessary. (optional step)
- Mix it well.
- Garnish with ginger and cilantro.
- Squeeze fresh lemon on top.
- Serve it hot with naan.