Instant Pot Black Dal (Urad lentil)
Black Daal is tasty, full of protein, and other nutrients. It's light to eat and easy to digest. It's a perfect weeknight meal very satisfying and very filling. Serve it with white rice to make it a complete combination.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 5 people
- 1.5 cups black dal urad dal
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 medium onion cut roughly in 5 pieces
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp tamarind concentrate paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 curry leaves
- 1/2 onion finely silced
- 1/2 green pepper finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cilantro finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp mint finely chopped (optional)
Add in the lentil and pour in 3 cups water in the instant pot.
Add in salt, turmeric, paprika, onion, and ginger garlic paste.
Mix well and Turn the Instant Pot on; select Multigrain setting set for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, let the air vent and open the lid. Add in Tarmarind and remaining 2 cups of water and mix.
In a fry pan, heat oil on medium heat.
Add in the onion fry it until golden brown. Add in the remainder of the tarka ingredients and fry them for 2 minutes.
Then pour it on top of the daal.
Serve it with white Rice.