Sarah: In our household, we love Madeleines. Our toddler even had Madeleines for dinner last night. Normally, She eats whatever we cook but these cookies are amazing! We can’t blame her. Madeleines are very delicious. This recipe screams elegance. It can be made bridal shower, baby shower, mother’s day, Christmas dinner, Eid, basically I make it or any occasion.
Madeleines are small sponge-like cake. however, through out the years people lean more over to the cookie side, since you typically have them with tea or coffee. Madeleines are normally eaten fresh if you ask us. but you can keep it in an airtight zip log bag or an air tight container for 2-3 days. If you follow our recipe we can grantee you can have a true Madeleine with the hump. Yes! the hump is a true symbol of a real french Madeleine. The batter can be made 1 or 2 days in advance. Just conceal this batter in an airtight container. The baking spray can’t be substituted for butter or olive oil. If you scoop the madeleines out while they are hot from the oven, they will stick. I have done that mistake, so be patient it will be worth the wait it’s only a 5 minute wait from the oven to your mouth.
Madeleines is an easy, fast, quick and a delicious recipe. It’s an elegant dessert. I have made this for my friend’s bridal shower. It’s simple and easy to follow. I hope you give this recipe a try. If you have any questions about our recipes, techniques, or you just want to say hi! Please feel free to message us. As always, if you try any of our recipes be sure to tag us on instagram @twoclovesinapot. Find us on Pinterest too @twoclovesinapot. Please subscribe to our newsletter. We value honest feedback.
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salte
- 6 tbsp sweet salted butter
- Beat eggs with sugar until pale yellow and now add zest.
- Whisk together dry ingredients add to the egg mixture gently, until just combined. Then add melted butter.
- Refrigerate the batter at least 1 hour! Or overnight. This is really critical for getting the “hump” of a Madeleine, the traditional mark of this classic French cookie.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly coat a non-stick, Madeleine pan with baking spray using this technique. Spray the baking spray into a small bowl and with a pastry brush lightly grease each well.
- Spoon 1 tbsp (15 ml) of batter into the center of the well and don’t touch it. It will spread out by itself and keep a more uniform shape that way.
- Bake 7 mins until slightly golden around edges and centers look set and slight hump has appeared. Allow to cool slightly and remove from the tin and allow to cool.
- Once cooled completely and dust with powdered sugar and serve!
- These are best eaten the day they are made. Batter can be made 2 days ahead of time.