This 20-Minute Instant Pot Moong and Masoor Dal recipe is packed full of warm and satisfying flavors but it takes just 20 minutes to prepare using an Instant Pot. This recipe is also gluten-free and vegetarian-friendly.
WHAT IS MOONG AND MASOOR DAL?
20-Minute Moong and Masoor Dal is combination of two lentils that are moong and masoor. It consists of few seasonings. Moong is a yellow colored dal and Masoor is a red colored dal mix them together to taste the magic. Almost every dal can be make in an Instant pot like Whole Masoor Dal and Maash Ki Dal (Urad Dal).
WHAT IS TARKA/TEMPERING?
The Tarka/Bhagaar (tempering) is a finishing touch that enhance the flavor. Tarka is a cooking method used in Pakistani cuisines. Tarka is a procedure where one takes whole spices such as: chopped garlic, dried red chilies, chopped green peppers, curry leaves, cumin and sauté briefly until golden.
No, It's not spicy at all.
Moong and Masoor Dal.
No, they are not the same thing.
HOW TO WASH LENTILS/DAL?
- Moong dal - Moong ki dal
- Masoor dal- Masoor ki dal
- Ginger garlic paste- Adrak lehsun ka paste
- Red pepper flakes- Koti huwi lal mirch
- Turmeric powder- Haldi
- Dried red pepper- Gol sukhi lal mirch
- Fresh lemon juice taza- Lemo ka rus
- Salt- Namak
- Water- Pani
- Maggie Chicken Coullion- Chicken Cube (optional)
- Olive oil- Tal
- Cumin seeds- Zeera
- Garlic cloves- Lehsun kay jaway
- Curry Leaves- Curry pata
HOW TO PREPARE/COOK IT?
WHAT TO PAIR THIS DAL?
Let's Make Instant Pot Moong and Masoor Dal!!!
20-Minute Instant Pot Moong and Masoor Dal
- Instant Pot
- fry pan
- ½ cup moong dal moong ki dal
- 1 cup masoor dal masoor ki dal
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste adrak lehsun ka paste
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes koti huwi lal mirch
- 1 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice taza lemo ka rus
- 1 tsp salt namak
- 3½ cups water pani
- 1 cube maggie chicken coullion chicken cube (optional)
- ½ cup olive oil tal
- 2 tsp cumin seeds zeera
- 2 round dried red pepper gol sukhi lal mirch
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped into little pieces) lehsun kay jaway
- 10 curry leaves curry pata
- In the Instant pot, add lentils, 3 cups of water, ginger garlic paste , salt, red pepper flakes, and turmeric and mix well! (If you used the chicken cube add it in now and mix well)
- Close the lid to the Instant pot.
- Select the "pressure cook" option and set the timer for 10 minutes.
- Vent the steam of the Instant pot and open it.
- Add ½ cup of water.
- Add lemon juice and mix well!
- Select the "sauté" option for 2 minute and keep stirring.
- Now select the "keep warm" option while working on the tempering.
- Heat the oil, mix in cumin seeds, garlic, round dried red pepper, and curry leaves.
- Keep stirring them til they are golden.
- Spread it on top of the lentils and mix well!