It's a timeless mystery how delicious Instant Pot Gobi Gosht (Cauliflower & Meat Curry) is, given that it takes less than an hour to prepare. It comes out of the Instant Pot with deep, layered flavors and the goat meat perfectly tender. Serve it alongside fresh chapatis or naan to soak up all the extra gravy, and voila!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What is Gobi Gosht?
- How long to cook the meat?
- How to cook Gobi Gosht?
- How to store it?
WHAT IS GOBI GOSHT?
Instant Pot Gobi Gosht Gosht (Cauliflower & Meat Curry) is smattered with spices and Mutton(goat). It all comes together quickly and swimmingly in the Instant Pot. This is my go-to for a Pakistani quick weeknight meal, like Authentic Pakistani Mutton/Goat Karahi (Karahi Gosht), Pakistani Mutton Korma (Qorma), and Pakistani Mutton Stew.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR THE MEAT TO COOK?
If the meat is pinkish it would take 12 minutes in the Instant Pot. However, if the meat is brown it can take up to 25 minutes. On the stovetop, it can take more than one hour just to cook, which is why I highly recommend using a pressure cooker or Instant Pot.
Gobi is what you call a cauliflower in Urdu.
We don't want to add raw cauliflower into the gravy because the tastes of the cauliflower will get time to marinate with salt and other spices that will enhance the flavor of the dish.
One tomato enhanced the taste of the gravy, but if you add two it will be overpowering the taste of the dish.
- Cauliflower- Gobi
- Mutton (goat)- Bakray ka gosht
- Olive oil- Tel
- Onion- Pyaz
- Ginger garlic paste- Adrak lasun ka paste
- Water- Pani
- Yogurt- Dahi
- Green pepper- Hari mirch
- Tomato- Tamatar
- Cumin seeds- Zeera
- Bay leaves- Tez patta
- Cloves- Long
- Coriander seeds- Sabut danya
- Black cardamoms- Kali elachi
- Black peppercorns- Sabut kali mirch
- Green cardamom pods- Hari elachi
- Mustard seeds- Sarson kay beej
- Nigella seeds- Kalonji
- Red chili powder- Pisa huwi lal mirch
- Turmeric powder- Haldi
- Coriander powder- Pisa huwa dhanya
- Salt- Namak
- Ginger- Adrak
- Fresh lemon juice- Taza lemo ka rus
- Fresh green cilantro- Taza dhanya
- Green pepper- Hari mirchi
- Garam masala powder- Pisa huwa garam masala
HOW TO COOK GOBI GOSHT?
HOW TO STORE?
After cooking it, let it cool down then store it in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. Reheat it when ready to eat.
Let's Make Instant Pot Gobi Gosht!!!
Instant Pot Gobi Gosht (Cauliflower & Meat Curry)
- Instant Pot
- 1 (roughly chopped) cauliflower gobi
- 1 lbs mutton (goat) bakray ka gosht
- ⅓ cup olive oil tel
- 1 medium onion (thinly sliced) pyaz
- 4 tbsp ginger garlic paste adrak lasun ka paste
- 1 cup water pani
- 1 tbsp yogurt dahi
- 1 (roughly chopped) green pepper hari mirch
- 1 (roughly chopped) tomato tamatar
- 1 tsp cumin seeds zeera
- 2 bay leaves tez patta
- 5 cloves long
- ¼ tsp coriander seeds sabut danya
- 3 black cardamoms kali elachi
- 10 black peppercorns sabut kali mirch
- 4 green cardamom pods hari elachi
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds sarson kay beej
- ¼ tsp nigella seeds kalonji
- 2 tsp red chili powder lal mirchi powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 tsp coriander powder dhanya powder
- 1½ salt namak
- ½ inch ginger (julienne for garnish) adrak
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice (for garnish) taza lemo ka rus
- 1 tbsp fresh green cilantro (chopped for garnish) dhanya
- 1 green pepper (chopped for garnish) hari mirchi
- ⅕ tsp garam masala powder pisa huwa garam masala
- 1 tbsp ghee desi ghee
- Turn on the instant pot, on saute mode, add in the 2 tbsp olive oil let it get heat up.
- Add nigella seeds and let it sizzle for 5 seconds
- Now goes in the cauliflower and mix well for 20 seconds constantly.
- Add in 1 tsp of red chili powder, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp turmeric powder.
- Mix it well for 1 minute. (don't stop stirring)
- Take the cauliflower mixture out and set aside for later.
- In the same Instant pot, on sauté mode. Add in ⅓ cup olive oil let it heat up.
- Add cumin seeds, black cardamoms, green cardamom pods, black peppercorns, mustard seeds, cloves, bay leaves, and coriander seeds then mix for a minute.
- Now add the thinly sliced onion, sauté until its brown.
- Add green pepper and mix well.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and mix everything really well.
- Add in 1 tsp red chili powder, ½ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp coriander powder, and 1 tsp salt and mix well.
- Next add in meat and mix.
- Now add in the tomato and yogurt and mix well.
- Add in one cup of water and choose the pressure setting for 12 minutes.
- After pressure is done, let the steam vent. Open the Instant Pot and mix in the cauliflower mixture.
- Once again cover the Instant pot and choose the Pressure setting for 2 minutes. once it's done vent the steam out and mix again.
- Garnish with ginger, green peppers, cilantro, and lemon juice. Serve with fresh chapatis or Naans.
- Optional- Add ghee on top.
Thanks for this Punjabi delicacy, my mother in law just loves it. Lovely photos, this looks so tempting. I have to try this.
The instructions say add onions but the ingredients don’t list them - how many onions?
Sarah Mirza says
thanks for bringing that to my attention I fixed it. please look again.
What is nigella seeds? If I omit will it still be good? And if I’m doubling quantity do I need to double the water?
Sarah Mirza says
nigella seeds are available at your south asian store. they are black seeds. you may omit I don't think it will be a huge difference. yes! double the quantity of the water.
if you have any other questions please feel free to message me here or over instagram.
Sarah Mirza says
no problem 🙂