Soft & Sweet Shahi Tukra (Shahi Tukray), a dessert of Mughal origin, consists of bread pieces that are deep-fried and subsequently steeped in a sumptuously thick milk mixture. It can be likened to a variant of bread pudding.
WHAT IS SHAHI TUKRA?
Soft & Sweet Shahi Tukra (Shahi Tukray), has its roots in Mughal cuisine, originating in both India and Pakistan. These delectable triangular treats are deep-fried and then immersed in steaming half and half (a creamy milk mixture) until the milk transforms into a custard-like consistency.
Shahi Tukra can be described as a bread pudding, representing a beloved dessert in the Indian and Pakistani culinary tradition. This Pakistani dessert delicacy is renowned for its opulent flavor and is an excellent choice to leave a lasting impression on your guests.
WHY MAKE SHAHI TUKRA?
- It boasts an exquisite flavor
- This recipe holds the distinction of being a cherished family secret like our Kheer, Anda ka Halwa, and Zarda.
- Generations within our family have safeguarded this recipe.
- The Shahi Tukra recipe we possess stands out as exceptionally unique compared to those readily available on the internet.
- This particular recipe has a notably rich consistency.
WHAT IS THE MEANING OF SHAHI TUKRA?
Shahi Tukra stands as a singular term in Urdu, in contrast to Shahi Tukray, which represents the plural form within the same language. The term "shahi" conveys the essence of "royal," while "tukra" signifies a "piece." When amalgamated, this Pakistani dessert aptly translates to "Royal Piece" or "Royal Pieces".
INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED!
- Half n half- Half and half is a blend of whole milk and heavy whipping cream, resulting in a combination that offers a lusciously thick consistency, precisely what you require for perfecting the Shahi Tukray recipe.
- Bread- Any good quality white bread would do for this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE SHAHI TUKRA?
Whisk the eggs.
Cut the corners.
Apply the eggs mixture on the bread.
Oil and heat it up.
Deep fry the bread.
Turn it over.
Take breads out.
Add half n half.
Next add sugar.
Add food coloring.
Add the deep fried breads.
Next add Kewra, saffron, and let the milk thickens.
Garnish and enjoy!
HOW TO STORE SHAHI TUKRA?
While I advise against freezing this dish, it is perfectly suitable for refrigerator storage, retaining its quality for up to one week when stored in an airtight container or the plate or dish is wrap tight in a cling-wrap.
WHICH BREAD TO BUY FOR THIS RECIPE?
You may purchase a top-notch white bread, ensuring its corners are crisp and pointed while also verifying its freshness, free from any signs of staleness.
OTHER DESSERTS ON THE BLOG!
Let's Make Shahi Tukray!!!
Soft & Sweet Shahi Tukra (Shahi Tukray)
- 32 ounces half n half
- 2 eggs whipped
- 6 bread slices
- 6 cups vegetable oil
- 2½ cups sugar
- ½ tsp orange food coloring
- 1 pinch of saffron
- ¼ tsp kewra
- dried rose petals
- edible genuine silver loose leaf warq
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
- Cut the corners of the white bread.
- Cut the bread in diagonal so you would get 2 triangle pieces from each bread. (optional)
- Apply the egg mixture on the bread with a brush on all sides.
- Add oil to a medium size pan, on medium heat, and let it heat up.
- Next add the egg brushed bread to the hot oil.
- Deep fry it on both sides.
- Do that to all the slices of bread.
- Turn off the stove.
- Now add half n half to a medium size pot, on medium heat, bring it to simmer.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Now add orange food coloring.
- Mix well.
- Now your mixture will turn yellow.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Then starting adding the bread slices in the half n half mixture and let it cook.
- Turn the stove to medium-low
- Keep flipping the bread every 5 min or so it get soaked in half n half mixture well.
- After about 10 minutes add the Saffron and Kewra.
- Mix gently so your bread won't break.
- Once the mixture thickens as you can see in the video.
- Dish out the shahi tukray.
- Garnish with fresh pistachios, dried rose petals, and edible genuine silver loose leaf.
- Cling wrap or air-tight the dish and place it in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.