Sarah - This is our toddler's favorite dish in the world. Oh yes! We are parents to a beautiful little girl! Before she left for Pre-School this morning, she asked me to make her Instant Pot Whole Masoor Dal. My motherly instincts kicked in, and I got started right away in the kitchen. Interestingly, this is also one of my favorite recipes from my childhood. Trust me when I say you won't be disappointed after trying this; after all, a toddler's stamp of approval is a rare and coveted one.
WHAT IS WHOLE MASOOR DAL?
Whole Masoor Dal is a mixture of chunks of onions, ginger garlic paste, and other seasonings. It makes for a simple, yet delicious and filling meal. You can buy the Whole Masoor Dal by clicking here.
HOW TO EAT INSTANT POT WHOLE MASOOR DAL?
Whole Masoor Dal is tasty, as well as full of protein and other nutrients. It's light to eat and easy to digest, making it a perfect weeknight meal. Serve it with white rice to make it a complete combination. Moreover, I like to have it with chapati and mango pickle. To top off this yummy dish it tastes even better when you put the Tarka (tempering) in there.
WHAT IS TARKA/TEMPERING?
Tarka is a cooking method used in South Asian cuisine. Tarka (tempering) is a the procedure where one takes whole spices such as: chopped garlic, dried chilies, whole coriander seeds, chopped green peppers, curry leaves, or other kinds of whole spices and roasts them briefly in oil.
HOW DO YOU PREPARE WHOLE MASOOR DAL?
First you add in the lentil and water in the Instant Pot. Next add in salt, turmeric, red chili powder, chunks of onion, and ginger garlic paste. Now mix well and turn the Instant Pot on; select Pressure Cooker setting for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes when it's done let the air vent and open the lid. Add in tamarind and add water until you achieve your desired consistency. (The water should be close to drying so I personally add 1-2 cups of water.)
This whole Masoor Dal recipe is easy and delicious. I hope you give this recipe a try. For more recipes like this please checkout the following links: Mash Ki Daal (Dhaba Style) , Instant Pot Moong and Masoor Daal (lentils) , and Chatpatay Aloo ki Katlian (Tangy Potatoes Curry) . If you have any questions about our recipes, techniques, or you just want to say hi! Please feel free to message us. As always, if you try any of our recipes be sure to tag us on instagram @twoclovesinapot. Find us on Pinterest too, @twoclovesinapot. Please subscribe to our newsletter. We value honest feedback.
Instant Pot Whole Masoor Dal
- 1.5 cups black dal
- salt as needed
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 ½ tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 onion cut roughly in 5 pieces
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 ½ tsp tamarind concentrate paste
- ½ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 sprig curry leaves
- ½ onion finely silced
- 2 serrano peppers finely chopped
- 3 sprig mint
- ¼ bunch cilantro roughly chopped
- Add in the whole masoor dal (lentil) and 2 cups of water in the Instant Pot.
- Add in salt, turmeric, red chili powder, onion, and ginger garlic paste.
- Mix well and turn the Instant Pot on.
- Select Pressure Cooker setting set for 20 minutes.
- After it's done, let the air vent and open the lid.
- Next add 2 cups of water and mix well.
- Now add tamarind concentrate paste and mix well for 1 minute.
- In a fry pan, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add in the onion fry it until golden brown. Add in the remainder of the tarka ingredients and fry them for 2-3 minutes.
- Then pour it on top of the daal.
- Serve it with white rice.