Sarah- Oh My God! I created something out of this world. It’s my Mutton Karahi recipe. I have been cooking this recipe since I started cooking but I think I can safely say I have reached perfection. It taste like the same karahi that I used to eat in a restaurant on a highway in Karachi. Oh my god, I have no words to explain how authentic and delicious this recipe is.
What is Karahi?
Karahi is a tomato based curry but you don’t want to include a lot of tomatoes, just the right amount. Although you’re going to include some tomato paste as well. You should let the seasonings and spices do their chemistry in order to bring an authentic flavor to your table. This recipe requires only 3 tomatoes.
Can I Use Chicken Instead Of Mutton?
Yes you may, However, you want to try your best to stay away from boneless meat. Authentic Karahi is made with bone. If you make it with chicken skip the Instant Pot step and put the chicken in the chicken along when you add the tomatoes paste, ginger and 3 tbsp garlic paste (you’re going to add 3 tbsp of ginger garlic paste for chicken) add 1/3 of karahi crushed masala, 2 tsp red chili powder, salt, lemon juice, garam masala powder, 1/2 bunch cilantro, and coriander powder. However, don’t put stock. Follow the rest of the recipe except remember no stock. You may a bit of water to make gravy.
I have achieved the perfect version of the Karahi that I used to eat at a restaurant on a highway in Karachi. It taste exactly like it. I am very surprised that I have achieved that level. Clearly we’re hooked on this flavorful and a perfect tasting recipe. I hope that you try this recipe. I hope you find it delicious and love it as much as I do. We have a lot of our family recipes on our blog like Kofta Curry (Meatball Curry) , Paya Curry (Mutton Trotters) , and Instant Pot Shami Kababs . If you have any questions about our recipes, techniques, recipe request, or you just want to say hi! Please feel free to message us. As always, if you try any of our recipes be sure to tag us on instagram @twoclovesinapot. Find us on Pinterest too, @twoclovesinapot. Please subscribe to our newsletter. We value honest feedback.
If you need help with finding a wok, my mom recently got this wok and she loves it.
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 serrano peppers slit
- 1/2 onion roughly chopped
- 3 tomatoes finely chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- salt as needed
- a pinch garam masala
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 black cardamoms
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- cilantro to garnish
- ginger to garnish (julienne)
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice to garnish
Karahi Masala Mixture
- 2 dried long red pepper break apart
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 lbs mutton goat meat
- 2 cup water
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp karahi masala that you made
- In a fry pan, on medium heat, dry roast dried red pepper, corinander seeds, black peppercorn, cumin seeds. cool it down for 5 minutes and crush them in a mortar & pestle. Set aside.
Instant Pot Instruction to cook Mutton
- Turn on the Instant Pot and Turn it to Saute Mode.
- Add the olive oil and heat it up then meat and ginger garlic paste
- Mix it for for about 5 minutes
- Now add salt and 2 tbsp of karahi masala that you made earlier.
- Now saute that for 5 minutes.
- Now add water and mix well.
- Seal it and put pressure for 17 minutes or until it's 90-95% fully cooked.
- Let it vent after it's done.
- Do all of the steps before you go on to the next step.
- In a wok, on medium heat, add oil, and add in the slit seranno peppers, black cardamom, green cardamon pods, cinnamon stick. Saute it for 2 minute.
- add the onion, saute it until they get transluscent.
- Add 2 finely chopped tomatoes, and mix well.
- Turn the stove on low when doing the next time.
- Add 2 tbsp tomatoes paste, 2 tbsp ginger and garlic paste, add 1/3 of karahi crushed masala, 2 tsp red chili powder, salt, 1 tbsp lemon juice, garam masala powder, 1/2 bunch cilantro, and coriander powder. Also add 1 cup stock from the IP. Mix everything well.
- Now Turn the stove on medium heat.
- Add the meat and mix well let it cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Now add one more tomato
- Now add the remaining of the karahi masala that we made earlier and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup of remaining stock.
- Add 1 more tbsp tomato paste and 1 tsp red chili powder.
- Cook it open it on medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix well and cover it for low for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with ginger and cilantro.
- squeeze fresh lemon on top.
- Serve it hot with naan.