Vaquas - Shahi Paneer Makhni or paneer butter masala is a well known dish in north Indian cuisine. Cubes of homemade or pre-packaged Indian cheese cubes in tomato-cream sauce. Anybody who is familiar with north Indian cuisine can tell you it's a dish that defines Indian cuisine. I came up with this recipe when I was really homesick living in Paris alone.
Everybody has a different way of making this dish. Some include frying the paneer and then mix it with the creamy tomato gravy. However, I don't really care to fry my paneer, I just cut the paneer into little cubes and mix it with the gravy. When you mix the paneer with the gravy; the paneer soaks up all the flavor from the gravy making a well balanced in flavor overall.
I make this dish once a month or when we have guests over. it's a hit! it hits the right spot at any party or when you want to have comfort food from India. It is such a flavorful dish. You can also pre-make the gravy and freeze it when you are ready to cook you can just heat it up on the stove and mix in the paneer and have it as a quick weeknight meal. You can cook rice along with it or have it with a Naan. I hope you give this recipe a try. we value honest feedback. Don't forget to tag us on instagram if you happen to try our yummy recipes.
Shahi Paneer or Paneer Makhni
- 1 cup paneer cubed
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 16 ounce sour cream
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 black peppercorns
- 4 green cardamom pods
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- a pinch of garam masala
- 10 cashews
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 tsp heavy whipping cream to garnish
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped to garnish
- 1 tsp fenugreek leaves to garnish
- In a pan, bring the onion and water. Set aside for cool down.
- After cool down, in a blender add in the onion mixture and cashews and blend them for a minute.
- In a pan, heat butter, after the butter melts add in cinnamon stick, black peppercorns, whole cloves, cumin, green chili pepper, and green cardamom pods. Sauté on medium to low flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion cashews mixture to the butter mixer in the pan.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté everything for 1 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, red chilli powder, and salt and mix it for 2-4 minutes.
- Add sour cream, yogurt, and honey and mix it for 1 minute.
- Take out the cinnamon stick and throw it away.
- Use a hand blender to blend everything into a smooth texture for 2 minutes (if you want a thinner gravy now it’s the time to add water if you need it)
- Add in the garam masala.
- Mix the paneer cubes in the pot and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fenugreek leaves, cilantro, and heavy whipping cream.
Leave a comment & rate this recipe