2-Ingredient Homemade Indian Dahi (Yogurt) is an art. The perfect homemade dahi comes with secrets that I will be unfolding in this blog post. Yogurt or dahi is heavenly when made at home. With just two ingredients, you have your perfect homemade dahi in no time.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What is homemade dahi (yogurt)?
- How to make dahi?
- Tips to make the perfect dahi
- How long homemade dahi last?
- How to store homemade dahi?
- What can be made with yogurt?
- The Homemade Dahi (Yogurt) Recipe
WHAT IS HOMEMADE DAHI (YOGURT)?
The 2-Ingredient Homemade Indian Dahi (Yogurt) stands as a timeless staple, requiring just two simple ingredients for preparation. It serves as an indispensable accompaniment to various Pakistani and North Indian recipes, including Mutton Biryani, Chicken Biryani, Sindhi Biryani, and Mutton Korma (Qorma), where the perfect homemade dahi is crucial for achieving the authentic flavors.
In certain Pakistani recipes like Sweet Lassi, Green Chutney Raita,or Cilantro Tomato Yogurt Raita, dahi emerges as a star ingredient, elevating the overall taste. This Pakistani/Indian yogurt recipe, free from preservatives and made fresh, is undeniably the best choice for a delightful and wholesome experience.
Curd and yogurt are synonymous terms used interchangeably in India. In this context, the word "curd" is commonly employed to refer to yogurt across the country.
To achieve the ideal texture and flavor of yogurt or dahi, it is essential to let it ferment for approximately 7-8 hours in a warm environment. After the fermentation process, it should be adequately cooled down in the refrigerator to enhance its taste and consistency.
Insufficient yogurt quantity and failure to place it in a warm environment may lead to undesirable results. The higher the temperature of the surroundings, the better the texture of the yogurt, and the quicker the fermentation process occurs.
Extended fermentation of dahi in a warm environment intensifies its sourness. It is advisable not to exceed 8 hours of fermentation. The yogurt's sourness largely depends on the culture used; if the culture yogurt is already sour, the resulting yogurt will also exhibit a similar sourness, regardless of the fermentation duration.
Fermentation entails the bacterial conversion of milk into yogurt through a transformative process.
Culture Yogurt- Dahi
Whole Milk- Doodh
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE YOGURT?
TIPS TO MAKING THE PERFECT DAHI
- Make sure you don't move it during the 7-8 hours time.
- Be very careful when you put it in the refrigerator and don't move it or dip your spoon in yogurt and check before you place in the refrigerator.
- Make sure you put dahi (yogurt) in the refrigerator.
- If Kroger, Mariano's, or Dillons is near you, get the whole milk yogurt from their Kroger brand and use it as a culture yogurt.
HOW LONG HOMEMADE DAHI LAST?
Homemade dahi (yogurt) lasts up to 7-10 days in refrigerator.
HOW TO STORE DAHI?
Dahi (yogurt) is suitable for storage in the refrigerator, but freezing it is not recommended. Freezing will compromise its delightful taste and result in an excessively watery consistency, detracting from its desired texture and quality.
WHAT CAN BE MADE WITH YOGURT?
Generally a lot of dishes ask to be cooked in yogurt, but besides that Lassi like Lassi Recipe (Pakistani Yogurt Drink) and Mango Lassi are yogurt-based and Cilantro Tomato Yogurt Raita is yogurt-based as well.
Let's Make Homemade Dahi (yogurt)!!!
2-Ingredient Homemade Indian Dahi (Yogurt)
- 4 cups whole milk doodh
- 4 tbsp yogurt (culture) dahi
- In a bowl, whip up the culture yogurt well.
- In a saucepan or a pot add milk.
- On medium heat, let the milk come to simmering point (not boiling).
- Get it off the stove.
- Leave it out for one hour.
- After an hour it should be still warm not cold.
- Mix in the culture yogurt one tbsp at a time.
- Transfer the yogurt-milk mixture in a big bowl that you use to set the yogurt.
- Cover the lid.
- Now wrap it in a blanket or throw and keep it in a warm place like oven or garage(only in summers) for 8 hours or overnight.
- While it's getting fermented, the yogurt-milk bowl or dish shouldn't be moved NOT even one inch.
- After 8 hours unwrap it, and place it in refrigerator very slowly remember no quick motion.
- Store it in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- It's ready to enjoy!