Authentic Thick Pakistani Kheer is a Pakistani rice pudding. Assessing whether the "Kheer" you get at a Pakistani/Indian restaurant is authentic is simple - if it's liquidy then it's not Kheer. Authentic Pakistani Kheer doesn't move the slightest even if you flip the bowl upside down. This blog post will explore how to make the perfect thick Pakistani Kheer.
TABLE OF CONTENT
- What is Kheer?
- Is it necessary to refrigerate Kheer overnight?
- Why not use whole milk for this milk?
- Why only wash the rice not soaking them for sometime?
- Can Kheer be made in an instant pot?
- How to wash the rice for kheer?
- How to cook?
- What goes well with Kheer?
WHAT IS KHEER?
Authentic Thick Pakistani Kheer is a Pakistani/Indian version of rice pudding. However, Kheer is unique because of its unique thick texture. Kheer is slow cooked to perfection by using half n half and heavy whipping cream. It's a labor of love and yes! Towards the end you will need a strong arm to stir non-stop for 20 minutes or so. This is one of my favorite Pakistani desserts.
Use half n half and heavy whipping cream and stir 20 minutes non-stop at the last.
It breaks the rice and makes the Kheer thicker.
Firni is made of crushed/grounded rice. While Kheer is made from whole rice.
If grind the rice in a food-processor or grinder then the texture of the kheer will be different and will be as smooth plus kheer will be runny.
It doesn't change the taste but it gives a very nice smell to the kheer.
IS IT NECESSARY TO REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT?
Most definitely YES! it's very necessary, as I told you Kheer is a slow process if one want to achieve perfection then refrigerate overnight is necessary.
WHY NOT TO USE WHOLE MILK FOR THIS RECIPE?
Whole milk will leave the Kheer with the liquidy consistency. Authentic Kheer needs to thick so the whole milk is a big NO!
WHY ONLY WASH THE RICE NOT SOAKING THEM FOR SOMETIME?
The rice will be soaking in half n half whilst cooking, so no need to soak them in water. Just washing them will be enough.
CAN KHEER BE MADE IN AN INSTANT POT?
The answer is yes most definitely, however, you won't get the thick authentic texture or taste.
HOW TO WASH THE RICE FOR KHEER?
- Use only Basmati rice for Kheer.
- Stirring at the end is one of the most crucial parts in making the perfect thick Kheer.
- Never crush the rice before hand.
- Don't scrub the side if you scrub the side Kheer will be brown.
- Always use a Tawa for making Kheer at all time.
- Half n Half
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Rice- Chawal
- Sugar- Chini
- Cloves- Long
- Green cardamom - Hari elachi
- Pistachio - Pista
- Edible genuine silver loose leaf- Warq
HOW TO COOK?
WHAT GOES WITH KHEER?
Kheer is a perfect dessert that goes well with wide-range of dishes like Mutton Biryani, Mutton/Goat Karahi (Karahi Gosht),Pakistani Mutton Korma (Qorma), Pakistani Mutton Masala Curry, and many other recipes.
Here are the links for some of the best tools I found that goes with the perfect Kheer wood masher, tawa, kewra, edible genuine silver loose leaf, and the pot. Lastly, the clay bowls in the picture I purchased some from a random store in Edison, New Jersey and some from a random shop on Devon street in Chicago, Illinois.
LET'S MAKE KHEER!!!
Authentic Thick Pakistani Kheer
- 8 cups half n half
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup rice chawal
- 1 cup sugar chini
- 2 green cardamom pods hari elachi
- 2 cloves long
- ½ cup pistachios pista
- 1 tsp kewra
- edible genuine silver loose leaf warq
- On medium heat, place a tawa on stove, add half and half to a pot and place the pot on the stove.
- Let it come to a boil.
- Now add in rice, green cardamoms, and cloves.
- Let it come to a boil then stir for 20 seconds repeat this process about 12-15 times. (Please keep a count, this process will take about 1 hr-1hr15min and also DO NOT scrub the sides.)
- Now it should be some what thick at this point.
- Next add in the heavy whipping cream, sugar and kewra.
- With the wooden masher start mashing the rice and stirring the kheer continuously for 20 minutes.
- It should be this thick. Discard the cloves and green cardamoms. Now distribute in bowls or bowl that the kheer will be set in.
- Grind the pistachios in a spice grinder until they are powder form.
- Place the silver leaf on the kheer and sprinkle the pistachio powder on top.
- Refrigerate it overnight.
- Take the kheer out the refrigerator.