Beetroot and Meat Curry (Chukandar Gosht)is an underrated, hallmark dish tucked within the fold of Pakistani cuisine. Come explore this unique, Pakistani dish - a wondrous example of root vegetables enhancing the flavors of a meat curry.
WHAT IS CHUKANDAR GOSHT?
Beetroot and Meat Curry (Chukandar Gosht) is a tomato and spinach-based curry. A harmonious union between mutton (goat) and beetroots, the dish also happens to be one of my mother's finest recipes. A lot of other Pakistani recipes have similarly paired up mutton (goat meat) with vegetables like Instant Pot Gobi Gosht and Lauki Gosht.
HOW TO CUT BEETROOT FOR CHUKANDAR GOSHT?
Beetroot or chukandar is kind of sweet so you have to add spinach to level up the savory flavor because if you don't this recipe will turn sweet.
Chukandar is a beetroot. It's a vegetable. It's on the sweet side though.
- Onion- pyaz
- Ginger garlic paste - Lasun adrak ka paste
- Beetroot- Chaukandar
- Mutton- Bakray ka gosht
- Cinnamon stick- Dal chinni
- Black peppercorns- Sabut kali mirch
- Green cardamom- Hari elachi
- Black cardamom- Kali elachi
- Cloves- Long
- Red chili powder- Peese huwi lal mirch
- Coriander powder- Peesa huwa dhanya
- Turmeric powder- Haldi
- Cumin powder- Peesa huwa zeera
- Tomatoes- Tematar
- Garam masala powder- Peesa huwa garam masala
- Salt- Namak
- Cilantro- Danya
- Green pepper- Hari mirchi
- Lemon juice- Lemo ka rus
HOW TO COOK CHUKANDAR GOSHT?
Let's Make Chukandar Gosht!!!
Beetroot and Meat Curry (Chukandar Gosht)
- Instant Pot
- 1 medium onion pyaz
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste lasun adrak ka paste
- 3 beetroot chaukandar
- 1 bunch spinach
- ⅛ cup water pani
- 2 medium tomatoes tematar
- 1 lbs mutton bakray ka gosht
- 1 green pepper hari mirchi
- ⅛ cup water pani
- 1 cinnamon stick dal cheeni
- 15 black peppercorns sabut kali mirch
- 2 green cardamoms hari elachi
- 1 black cardamom kali elachi
- 3 cloves long
- ¼ bunch cilantro dhanya
- ½ tsp cumin powder peesa huwa zeera
- ¼ tsp lemon juice lemo ka rus
- In an Instant Pot, on sauté mode, add oil, and let it heat up.
- Add onion, sauté the onion until its brown.
- Now add whole spices like black cardamom, cinnamon, green cardamom, black peppercorns, and cloves mix it for 20 seconds.
- Next add ginger garlic paste and mix it for 20 seconds.
- Add the meat, sauté the meat until it changes color.
- Now mix in salt along with powder spices and mix well for 20 seconds.
- Pressure it for 10 minutes.
- Next add in beetroot mix well.
- Add the chopped beetroot leaves and mix well.
- Now add the spinach and mix it well.
- Add the tomatoes and mix well.
- Now add water and mix well.
- Last place a whole green pepper on top.
- Pressure it 2 minute again and vent it.
- Now when you unseal it, it will be watery.
- Select sauté mode and dry the water for 5-10 minutes. stir occasionally so it doesn't burn in the bottom.
- When the water is pretty much dried up.
- Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Garnish cumin powder, lemon juice, and cilantro. Serve it with Naan or Chapati. Enjoy!