If there is any dish that is quintessentially Pakistani, it is biryani -- especially when made using a 5-Minute Homemade Biryani Masala. There is an otherworldly enjoyment in creating your own masala. After doing so, you'll be able to internalize this ages-old adage: once you make your own, you'll leave the grocery shelves alone!
WHAT'S HOMEMADE BIRYANI MASALA?
5-Minute Homemade Biryani Masala is an undeniable game changer. Dry roasted whole spices are blended together with some pinches of salt and a few powder spices.
A pretty simple assortment, but it still allows for some culinary Pakistani creativity, as you can mess around with the spices you put.
After all, we are all about rolling our sleeves up and learning as we do - so go ahead, make your own Pakistani Biryani Masala!
Cilantro Tomato Yogurt Raita typically accompanies the Biryani when the food is served.
Countless iterations of different spice combinations and mixtures have culminated in my final, most refined biryani masala.
- Dried long red peppers lal lambi sukhi mirch
- Bay leaves tez patta
- Cinnamon sticks dal chini
- Coriander seeds sabut daniya
- Cumin seeds zeera
- Caraway seeds shahi zeera
- Mace javitri
- Cloves long
- Green cardamom hari elaichi
- Black peppercorns sabud kali mirch
- Anise badiyan ke phool
- Fennel seeds sauf
- Netmug jaefil
- Turmeric powder haldi
- Red chili powder Lal mirch powder
- Salt namak
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT MASALA?
HOW LONG DOES THE MASALA LAST AND HOW MUCH TO USE?
With recipe below the masala should last 2 to 2-and-a-half months if you make biryani once a week on average.
I typically mix about 4 tbsp of the masala with 3 lbs of meat.
Let's Make Homemade Biryani Masala!!!
5-Minute Homemade Biryani Masala
- 18 dried long red peppers lal lambi sukhi mirch
- 12 bay leaves tez patta
- 6 cinnamon sticks dal chini
- 9 tbsp coriander seeds sabut daniya
- 3 tbsp cumin seeds zeera
- 3 tbsp caraway seeds shahi zeera
- 1 mace javitri
- 30 cloves long
- 12 black cardamon kali elachi
- 30 green cardamom hari elachi
- 30 black peppercorns sabud kali mirch
- 9 star anise badiyan ke phool
- 3 tsp fennel seeds sauf
- ⅓ piece netmug jaefil
- 1½ tsp tumeric powder haldi
- 6 tsp red chili powder lal mirch powder
- 3 tsp salt namak
- In a fry pan, add in the whole spices and dry roast them for 1 minute.
- Let it cool down for 5-7 minutes.
- Now add only cinnamon sticks and mace and blend them until they are powder form.
- Add bay leaves and blend them until they are powder form.
- Next add the dry red chili peppers and blend them until they are powder form.
- Now add nutmeg and black cardamoms and blend them until they are powder form.
- Add anise stars and green cardamoms and blend them until they are powder form.
- Now add the rest of the whole spices and blend them until they are powder form.
- Next add whole spice powder that you just blended in a bowl.
- Now add powder spices and salt and mix well.
- Store in a air tight jar. Biryani Masala is good up to 4-5 months.