How to make Homemade Dahi (Indian Yogurt) is an art. The perfect homemade dahi comes with secrets that I will be unfolding in this blog post. Yogurt or dahi is heavenly when made at home. With just two ingredients, you have your perfect homemade dahi in no time.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What is homemade dahi (yogurt)?
- How to make dahi?
- Tips to make the perfect dahi
- How long homemade dahi last?
- How to store homemade dahi?
- What can be made with yogurt?
- The recipe
WHAT IS HOMEMADE DAHI (YOGURT)?
Homemade Dahi (Yogurt) is a staple that takes only two ingredients to make. It is a timeless accompaniment to Pakistani entrees. Dishes like Instant Pot Mutton Biryani, Authentic Chicken Biryani, and Pakistani Mutton Korma (Qorma) will not taste like themselves if you don't have the perfect dahi.
Curd and yogurt are the samething. The word curd is used widely in India for yogurt.
To make the perfect yogurt or dahi it should ferment for about 7-8 hours in a warm place and then cooled down in the refrigerator.
Not enough yogurt added. Not placed in warm place. The hotter the environment is, the better the yogurt's texture is, and the faster it ferments.
The longer you ferment the dahi in warm environment the more sour it gets. Do not put it for more than 8 hours. If culture yogurt is sour then the yogurt will be sour so matter what.
Fermentation is the process of bacterial transformation of milk to yogurt.
Culture Yogurt- Dahi
Whole Milk- Doodh
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE DAHI (INDIAN YOGURT)?
TIPS TO MAKING THE PERFECT DAHI
- Make sure you don't move it during the 7-8 hours time.
- Be very careful when you put it in the refrigerator and don't move it or dip your spoon in yogurt and check before you place in the refrigerator.
- Make sure you put dahi (yogurt) in the refrigerator.
- If Kroger, Mariano's, or Dillons is near you, get the whole milk yogurt from their Kroger brand and use it as a culture yogurt.
HOW LONG HOMEMADE DAHI LAST?
Homemade dahi (yogurt) lasts up to 7-10 days.
HOW TO STORE DAHI?
Dahi (yogurt) can be stored in the refrigerator.
WHAT CAN BE MADE WITH YOGURT?
Generally a lot of dishes ask to be cooked in yogurt, but besides that Lassi like Quick & Easy Lassi Recipe (Pakistani Yogurt Drink) and Mango Lassi (THE BEST) are yogurt-based and Cilantro Tomato Yogurt Raita is yogurt-based as well.
Let's Make Homemade Dahi (yogurt)!!!
How To Make Homemade Dahi (Indian Yogurt)
- 4 cups whole milk doodh
- 4 tbsp yogurt (culture) dahi
- In a bowl, whip up the culture yogurt well.
- In a saucepan or a pot add milk.
- On medium heat, let the milk come to simmering point (not boiling).
- Get it off the stove.
- Leave it out for one hour.
- After an hour it should be still warm not cold.
- Mix in the culture yogurt one tbsp at a time.
- Transfer the yogurt-milk mixture in a big bowl that you use to set the yogurt.
- Cover the lid.
- Now wrap it in a blanket or throw and keep it in a warm place like oven or garage(only in summers) for 8 hours or overnight.
- While it's getting fermented, the yogurt-milk bowl or dish shouldn't be moved NOT even one inch.
- After 8 hours unwrap it, and place it in refrigerator very slowly remember no quick motion.
- Store it in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- It's ready to enjoy!