Pakistani Aloo Gosht (Mutton and Potato curry) is a comfort food in its own tier. It is supremely authentic and traditional. This recipe is packed with its own distinct flavor, even though the ingredients are the same as most any Pakistani curries. But, cooking is an art; it isn’t merely the quantity of ingredients, but a mesmerizing mixture of the timings, the orderings, and personalized touches here and there.
Table of Contents
- What is Pakistani Aloo Gosht?
- Tips for Aloo Gosht
- How long does it take mutton to cook in the Instant Pot?
- How to cut the potatoes for Aloo Ghost?
- How to cook Aloo Gosht?
- What to pair this with?
WHAT IS PAKISTANI ALOO GOSHT?
Aloo Gosht, although a motley mix of everyday spices, is packed with flavor. Pakistani Aloo Gosht (Mutton & Potatoes Curry) is one of my family's most guarded secrets. Aloo gosht is a mutton and potatoe curry laden with mild spices that tease your tastebuds like other Pakistani recipes like Mutton Masala Curry, Mutton Korma (Qorma), and Karahi Gosht).
TIPS FOR ALOO GOSHT
- Make the yogurt gets whipped for at least 3 minutes. This gives the perfect consistency and the curry won't get yogurt bits.
- Don't ever add tomatoes to this recipe.
- Make sure the onions gets brown properly
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE MUTTON TO COOK IN THE INSTANT POT?
It takes about 12 min for the mutton to cook in the Instant Pot. It should be about 98% done in the Instant Pot, and then finished on the stovetop.
- Olive oil- Tal
- Mutton (goat)- Bakray ka gosht
- Water- Pani
- Onion- Pyaz
- Ginger garlic paste - Lehsun adrak ka paste
- Green pepper- Hari mirchi
- Cinnamon stick- Dal chini
- Green cardamom- Hari elachi
- Black cardamom- Kali elachi
- Black peppercorns- Sabut kali mirch
- Cloves- Long
- Red chili powder- Peesi huwi lal mirch
- Coriander powder- Peesa huwa danya
- Turmeric powder- Haldi
- Salt- Namak
- Yogurt- Dahi
- Cilantro- Taza danya
- Fresh lemon juice- Taza nibu ka rus
- Ginger- Adrak
- Garam masala powder- Peesa huwa garam masala
HOW TO CUT THE POTATOES FOR THE ALOO GOSHT?
HOW TO COOK PAKISTANI ALOO GOSHT?
WHAT TO PAIR THIS WITH?
Pair aloo gosht with naan or chapati. When hosting a party, pair this dish with Chicken Malai Tikka, Chicken Biryani. Don’t forget to top the biryani off with some Raita. Don't forget Pakistani Kheer as a perfect dessert.
Let's Make Aloo Gosht!!!
Pakistani Aloo Gosht (Mutton and Potato Curry)
- Instant Pot
- 1 cinnamon stick dal chini
- 4 green cardamom hari elachi
- 2 black cardamom kali elachi
- 4 black peppercorns sabut kali mirch
- 4 cloves long
- 1½ tsp red chili powder peesi huwi lal mirch
- 2 tsp coriander powder peesa huwa danya
- ½ tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ bunch cilantro (finely chopped) taza danya
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice taza lomo ka rus
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder peesa huwa garam masala
- In an instant Pot, on "Saute" mode, add oil and let it heat up.
- Next add onion, sauté it until it's are brown.
- Take the onion out in a bowl, set aside.
- Now add potatoes, sauté them for 2 minutes.
- Take potatoes out in a bowl, set aside.
- Now there should be some leftover oil in an instant pot, add whole spices.
- Sauté the whole spices for 20 seconds.
- Next add ginger garlic paste, sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add meat now mix it for 5 minutes or until it changes its color.
- Now add powder spices and salt and mix well.
- Add water and pressure it for 11 minutes.
- Now add the potatoes and mix well.
- Pressure for a minute.
- In a bowl, add yogurt and whip it for 3 minutes continuously.
- After pressure, open the lid and add whipped yogurt.
- Now smash the brown onion.
- Add it on top on yogurt and mix well.
- Now add the green peppers on top.
- Garnish with Garam Masala, cilantro, and fresh lemon juice.