Tender Pakistani Bihari Kabab (beef) is an infamous Pakistani barbecue dish. Thin strips of beef are tenderized and salubered with a flavored spice mixture along with yogurt and mustard oil. The versatile nature of this dish is such that it is both an appetizer served at barbecues, but also a staple found at many shaadi's!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What are Bihari Kababs?
- What type of meat to use?
- How to garnish the Bihari Kababs?
- How long to marinate?
- Answering your questions
- How to make Bihari Kababs?
- What to serve with it?
- Bihari Kababs Recipe
WHAT ARE BIHARI KABABS?
Tender Pakistani Bihari Kababs (beef) are essentially thin, tenderized strips of beef. They are marinated with a meat tenderizer such as raw papaya, with flavorful spice blends along with some mustard oil -- the flavorful cornerstone of the recipe -- to top it all off. Bihari Kababs are usually cooked on a barbecue grill. Check out Pakistani Beef Chapli Kababs.
WHAT TYPE OF MEAT TO USE?
Beef tenderloins strips are also known as pasanday in Urdu. However, chicken, mutton or lamb can be easily substituted. Butchers will easily cut the meat in this way for you, but if they don't you can flatten and cut it yourself if needed.
- Ginger & Garlic- We used whole ginger and garlic but Homemade Ginger Garlic Paste or store-bought can be easily substituted.
- Mustard Oil- It adds a distinct taste and flavor that is integral to Bihari kababs. However, if you have olive oil you can substitute it, but it's not recommended.
- Bihari Kababs Masala- This can be easily made at home or you can use store-bought.
- Crushed Brown Onion- We used the store-bought ones but you can brown the onions, crush them, and add that into the mixture.
- Papaya- Used as a meat tenderizer in this recipe. Without it the meat will be dry and hard.
- Yogurt- Used to provide softness to the Bihari kababs.
- Fresh Lemon juice- Will provide subtle tanginess to the recipe.
HOW TO GARNISH THE BIHARI KABABS?
For an ideal garnish, sprinkle some chaat masala, circular onion cuts, and fresh lemon juice.
HOW LONG TO MARINATE?
Bihari kababs are typically marinated overnight. There was a time where I had accidentally left the bihari kababs for three days after marination; but, once I popped it onto the grill, it still tasted scrumptious!
ANSWERING YOUR QUESTIONS
No, it's highly recommended it for the best result, but you can shallow fry them in a fry pan.
No, ground beef is highly discourage to use with this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE BIHARI KABABS?
WHAT TO SERVE WITH IT?
Bihari kababs are served with chapati or Naan. It serves as a side dish to any rice dish such as Chicken Biryani, Mutton Pulao, and Mutton Biryani. Don't forget dessert Ras Malai Tres Leches Cake, Gulab Jamun Cheesecake, or Authentic Thick Kheer.
- Wet the wooden sticks. If you don't wet thoroughly then they will be burned on the grill.
- Add 3 strips per skewers without gaps it's very aesthetically pleasing.
- Always sew the strips on the skewers because that will give you the most authentic texture and look of the Bihari Kababs.
- Smoke before placing it in the refrigerator it will enhance the smokey flavor.
Let's Make Bihari Kababs!!!
Tender Pakistani Bihari Kababs (Beef)
- bbq grill
- 1 lbs Beef tenderloins strips
- Homemade Bihari Kabab Masala can use store-bought as well
Ingredients for the Paste
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 1 inch ginger
- 12 garlic
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 tsp papaya chunks
- 1 green pepper roughly sliced
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fried onion used store-bought
- ½ piece coal for this amount of beef.
- ½ tsp olive oil
Make the Paste
- In a blender, add ginger, garlic, yogurt, mustard oil, papaya chunks, green pepper, fresh lemon juice, fried onion, and blend well until smooth.
- Have your butcher finely cut beef tenderloins in to 1 inch wide strips.
- In a medium size bowl, add strips of beef tenderloins, the paste that was in the blender and homemade Bihari Kabab Masala.
- Mix well.
- Give Coal smoke by placing a stainless steel bowl in the middle of the marination, then heat up the coal on the stove, once the coal is lit; place it on the bowl.
- then add 1 tbsp of oil on the lit coal, and quickly place a lid on the bowl so it can capture the smoke.
- Don't lift the lid for 3 minutes, then remove the lid and stainless steel bowl with the coal.
- Let it marinate overnight in refrigerator.
- The next morning, take it out of the refrigerator.
- Dip the wooden stick for few minutes in water.
Grill the Bihari Kababs
- Turn on the grill, let it heat up on high flame, and spray some olive oil on the grill so the kabab won't stick to the grill.
- Place the skewers on the grill on medium flame.
- The skewers should be charred and cooked in 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Turn the skewers on the other side once one side is tender and charred. As you turn the skewer on the other side that isn't done yet spray the olive oil before turning.
- Take off the grill.
- Sprinkle some chaat masala, fresh lemon juice, and onions on top.
- Pair it up with green chutney.