Achari Chicken has to be one of the easiest yet delicious recipes to prepare on the blog. It's almost difficult to fathom how such a decorated Pakistani recipe can be put together in relatively no time whatsoever and there's no grinding of any spices, one merely dry roasts them before tossing them in. Achari Chicken vigorously flows through Pakistan's veins as a must-have dish, and finds the perfect balance between simplicity, minimal time commitment, and a delightful taste.
WHAT IS ACHARI CHICKEN?
Achari Chicken is an easy chicken curry recipe. It's composed of a tangy pickled flavor; the pickled spice flavor embedded within the chicken creates the authentic Achari Chicken taste. This is the Pakistani and North Indian version of the recipe, and its sublime taste rivals that of essentially any other Pakistani curry. If you're salivating at the mention of delicious Pakistani curries, I also have Pakistani Arvi Gosht (Instant Pot) on the blog so be sure to check that out!
INGREDIENTS FOR THE MASALA
I have given various Achari recipes like Achari Bhindi (The Best) and Achari Aloo, so be sure to check them out as well.
- Nigella Seeds - Also known as Kalongi in Urdu. Nigella seeds are tiny black seeds similar to sesame seeds. Frying them unleashes a unique tangy flavor.
- Coriander Seeds - Also known as Sabud Daniya. Coriander seeds are green seeds, and go very well with curry dishes like Achari Chicken.
- Fennel Seeds - Known as Sauf in Urdu. They are another essential ingredient for the Achari masala. Fennel seeds help with digestion, and people usually eat them after dinner.
- Cumin Seeds - Also known as Zeera in Urdu. The most common spice in almost all South Asian savory foods. They exhibit a warm, unique taste.
- Turmeric Powder - Also known as Haldi in Urdu. The most important ingredient in South Asian cooking and one that is extremely essential to this masala. Turmeric powder is an antioxidant which cools the body and improves immunity.
- Red Chili Powder - Also known as Lal Mirchi in Urdu. It adds the element of spice into your cooking. Yet again, a very important Ingredient.
- Dried Mango Powder - Also known as Amchur Powder. It adds a tangy kick to your curry.
HOW TO COOK ACHARI CHICKEN?
TIPS FOR COOKING THE BEST ACHARI CHICKEN
- Your Achari Chicken shouldn't be too runny.
- Don't use less than 3 tbsp of ginger garlic paste or the chicken will smell.
- Roughly hand crush the coriander seeds for a better taste and texture of your curry.
Other than this being one of the easiest Pakistani recipes on the blog, it's one of the most delicious recipes on the blog as well. If you have any questions about our recipes, techniques, have a recipe request, or you just want to say hi! Please feel free to message us and As always, if you try any of our recipes be sure to tag us on instagram @twoclovesinapot. Find us on Pinterest too, @twoclovesinapot. Please subscribe to our newsletter. We value honest feedback.
Let's make Achari Chicken!!!
Achari Chicken Curry
- 2 green peppers slitted
- ⅓ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1½ lbs chicken bone in
- 1 medium size onion cut in small
- 3 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 medium size tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp yogurt whipped
- ½ cup water
- 1¼ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ bunch cilantro garnish
- homemade achari masala
- In a medium size pot, on medium heat, pour the oil.
- As soon as oil warms up, add in the onion, sauté it until transparent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté it for 30 seconds.
- Now add the chicken, and mix well until the chicken changing its color.
- Next add the homemade achari masala.
- Now add the tomatoes, yogurt, tomato paste, lemon juice and mix well.
- Let it cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix in the green peppers in your curry.
- Add ¼ cup of water and mix well.
- Cover the lid and let it cook for 7-10 minutes on medium to low.
- Open the lid and now add ¼ cup of water and mix well for 1 minute.
- Garnish with cilantro.
This recipe is perfection, best achari chicken we've had! Wonderful blend of spices and I love how quick and easy it is to make. Definitely a keeper.
Sarah Mirza says
Thank you so much glad you loved the recipe. <3
Thank you for the recipe, everyone loved it 😊
Sarah Mirza says
Thank you so much 🙂