This Easy Instant Pot Mutton Rogan Josh is a simple fix! Just imagine a strikingly-red, onion-yogurt based curry. The dish in all its allure originally hails from Kashmir.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What is Rogan Josh?
- Tips & Ingredients
- How to cook Rogan Josh?
- What can I serve and pair the recipe with?
- What is Tarka/Tempering?
- The Recipe
WHAT IS ROGAN JOSH?
Easy Instant Pot Mutton Rogan Josh is a red-colored curry, rich in flavor and infused with an aromatic smell. This recipe, influenced by Persians, is a quintessentially Kashmiri recipe. Kashmiri Rogan Josh contains the root of Ratan Jot, which is root of Alkanet. This is a Pakistani-Kashmiri recipe like Tamatar Gosht, Achari Gosht, and Palak Gosht.
No, the root of Alkanet can be substituted with red coloring.
No, It only enhances the color of the recipe.
Rogan means oil and Josh means passion.
TIPS AND INGREDIENTS
- Root of Alkanet- The most important ingredient in the dish. This will change the color to red but can be replaced with red food-coloring.
- Yogurt- Whip the yogurt with powder mixture of spices really well, before adding to the pot.
- Water- Make sure the water comes to a boil before add the whole spices.
HOW TO COOK ROGAN JOSH?
WHAT CAN I SERVE AND PAIR THE RECIPE WITH?
WHAT IS TARKA/TEMPERING?
Usually, The Tarka/Bhagaar (tempering) is a finishing touch that enhance the flavor but in recipe it enhances the color. Tarka is a cooking method used in Pakistani cuisines. Tarka is a procedure where one takes whole spices and fry them in oil.
Let's Make Rogan Josh!!!
Easy Instant Pot Mutton Rogan Josh
- Instant Pot
- 4 cloves
- 4 green cardamoms
- 2 black cardamoms
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds sauf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 mace javitri
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp dry ginger powder sonth
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp olive oil
- 2 alkanet ratan jot
- In an Instant Pot, select sauté option, add water and let it boil.
- Now add all the whole spices.
- Add 4 tbsp ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Then add meat and mix well.
- Close the lid and select the Pressure Cooker option, and pressure for 15 minutes or until the meat is 95-98% done.
- Let the steam out, open the lid and set aside.
- In a pot on stove, on medium heat, add ¼ cup of oil and let it heat up.
- Now add onion and sauté it until it's brown.
- Add 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Then add only the meat from the Instant Pot to the pot.
- Next add in the tomato paste and mix well.
- Turn off the stove.
- In a bowl, add yogurt, salt, and powder spices and mix well.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the pot with the meat and mix well.
- Turn on the stove on medium-low heat.
- Now add about 2 cups of stock from the instant pot to the pot on the stove.
- In a fry pan, add ¼ cup of oil on medium heat and let it heat up.
- Add in the roots of alkanet, let it sizzle for 30 seconds or until the red color can be seen.
- Now strain the alkanet out when add the oil-alkanet mixture in the pot.
- Mix everything well.
- Rogan Josh is ready, Enjoy!