Pakistani Chicken Handi with Bone-In Chicken is arguably one of the easiest Pakistani recipes. Marinate, and cook - this is quite literally the entire process. The versatility is astounding: it’s great for a side at your next party, or for a weeknight comfort meal.
WHAT IS CHICKEN HANDI?
Pakistani Chicken Handi with Bone-In Chicken stands out as one of the most straightforward yet indulgent choices among Pakistani dinner recipes. With origins rooted in both India and Pakistan, this dish is typically prepared in a clay pot, although I opted for a regular pot due to the absence of a clay pot. It enjoys extensive popularity in restaurants throughout India and Pakistan.
This opulent recipe entails the artful combination of chicken, yogurt, aromatic spices, and seasonings, delivering an unparalleled and extraordinary flavor profile that distinguishes it among the array of Pakistani dinner recipes.
WHAT KIND OF MEAT TO USE IN CHICKEN HANDI?
For this recipe, my personal preference leans towards using bone-in chicken quarters. In my culinary experience, when crafting a curry that demands an extended cooking time, employing boneless chicken tends to result in the chicken becoming exceedingly dry, with its juices being drawn out during the process.
Therefore, I opt for bone-in chicken quarters in this particular recipe. However, I do want to clarify that my appreciation for boneless chicken remains intact, particularly when preparing dishes like Chicken 65 or Malai Boti Tikka.
- Chicken- I would opt in for a bone-in chicken quarters.
- Yogurt- This recipe requires full fat yogurt.
- Fried onion- I used store-bought but you can use homemade fry onion.
- Whole Spices- They enhance the taste.
- Powdered spices- They enhance the taste and red chili powder adjusts the spice level.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN HANDI?
Add all the ingredients in a pot. Cover and Marinate.
Seal the lid with foil and let it cook on stove.
Garnish with heavy whipping cream and dried fenugreek leaves.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH?
LET'S MAKE CHICKEN HANDI!!!
Easy Pakistani Chicken Handi (Bone-in)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 mace javitri
- 4 cloves
- 4 black peppercorns
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
- ¼ tsp heavy whipping cream
- In a pot (not on the stove) add the ingredients except garnish
- Cover with lid and marinate it overnight or at least 2 hours in refrigerator.
- After marination, place the pot on the stove and seal the lid with foil as shown on video. Place the lid back on the pot.
- Turn on the stove to medium heat.
- Let it cook for 18 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Unseal the lid,
- Give it a good mix.
- Turn off the stove.
- Add heavy whipping cream and dried fenugreek leaves.