40-Minute Instant Pot Tamatar Gosht (Mutton Curry) is an underrated spectacle in Mutton recipes. It’s unpopularity is frankly astonishing. Tamatar gosht is made in the instant pot, wherein a potpourri of whole and powder spices bring everything together.
WHAT IS TAMATAR GOSHT?
40-Minute Instant Pot Tamatar Gosht (Mutton Curry) is a tomato based Pakistani curry which consists of whole and powder spices. It comes together effortlessly. The stock that is made in the Instant Pot is used to make the gravy for the recipe. This recipe is as flavorful as many other Pakistani recipes like Mutton Masala Curry, Mutton Stew, and Mutton Karahi.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE MUTTON TO COOK IN THE INSTANT POT?
IIt takes about 12 min for the mutton to cook in the Instant pot. It should be about 95% done in the IP then finished on the stovetop.
- Goat meat- Mutton
- Tomatoes- Tamatar
- Onion- Pyaz
- Ginger garlic paste- Lehsun adrak ka paste
- Tomato paste- Tamatar ka paste
- Olive oil- Tal
- Yogurt- Dahi
- Green peppers- Hari mirchi
- Cilantro- Taza danya
- Water- Pani
- Cumin seeds- Zeera
- Black cardamom- Kali elachi
- Cinnamon stick- Dal chini
- Cloves- Long
- Black peppercorns- Sabut kali mirch
- Green cardamoms- Hari elachi
- Red chili powder- Peesa huwi lal mirch
- Cumin powder- Peesa huwa zeera
- Coriander powder- Peesa huwa danya
- Turmeric powder- Haldi
- Salt- Namak
- Garam masala powder- Peesa huwa garam masala
HOW TO MAKE TAMATAR GOSHT?
WHAT TO PAIR THIS UP WITH?
Pair this up with the delicious Mutton Biryani, Kali Mirchi Ka Salan, Matka Gosht, and don't forget to pair it up with the traditional Pakistani dessert Kheer.
Let's Make Tamatar Gosht!!!
40-Minute Instant Pot Tamatar Gosht (Mutton Curry)
- Instant Pot
- 1½ lbs goat mutton
- 6 medium tomatoes tamatar
- 1 medium onion (sliced) pyaz
- 4 tbsp ginger garlic paste lehsun adrak ka paste
- 2 tbsp tomato paste tamatar ka paste
- ¼ and ⅓ cup olive oil tal
- 1 tbsp yogurt dahi
- 3 green peppers hari mirchi
- ¼ bunch cilantro (finely chopped for garnish) taza danya
- ½ cup water pani
- 1 tsp cumin seeds zeera
- 1 black cardamom kali elachi
- 1 cinnamon stick dal chini
- 4 cloves long
- 5 black peppercorns sabut kali mirch
- 4 green cardamoms hari elachi
- 2 tsp red chili powder peesa huwi lal mirchi
- ½ tsp cumin powder peesa huwa zeera
- 1 tsp coriander powder peesa huwa danya
- ½ tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1 tsp salt namak
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder peesa huwa garam masala
- In an Instant Pot, select "saute" add ¼ cup oil, let it heat up.
- Add in 3 tbsp ginger garlic paste, sauté it for 30 seconds.
- Next add the meat and sauté that for 3 minutes.
- Now add yogurt and mix well for 1 minute.
- Now add water and mix well.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot, select "Pressure" set the time for 12 minute or until the meet is 95% done.
- Vent the steam out and open the lid. Set aside.
- In a pot, on medium heat, lightly dry roast the whole spices.
- Next add oil, let it heat up.
- Add onion and sauté it until brown.
- Now add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Next add the salt and powdered spices and mix well.
- Add in the tomatoes and mix well, and let it cook until the tomatoes soften.
- Now add the meat from the Instant Pot and mix well. (Leave the stock in the instant pot and set aside.)
- Next add the tomato paste and mix well.
- Now add the stock from the instant pot and let it cook for 5 minute on medium low.
- Next add the green pepper and cover the lid. Let it cook on low for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Eat with chapati or naan.
Farah rizvi says
I made this last night for my in laws. Thanks to you both they think I am a great cook. Thank you for this recipe.
Sarah Mirza says
Thank you so much 🙂