The long-awaited Pakistani Beef Chapli Kababs recipe is here! Chapli Kababs are delicious, the easiest kabab to make, and are subtly tangy, flavorful, and juicy.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What is Chapli Kabab?
- Why the Kababs are called Chapli?
- Why kababs break?
- Can Chapli Kababs only be made in Beef?
- Steps in Chapli Kababs
- How to make Chapli Kababs?
- What to pair them with?
- How to store them and how long do they last?
WHAT IS CHAPLI KABAB?
Pakistani Beef Chapli Kababs are a delicacy originating from Peshawar, Pakistan. They are made of ground beef, and are extremely flavorful. They are fried never grilled, and are one of few recipes that are exclusively Pakistani. It's an extremely popular street food in Pakistan like Golgappay Chaat and Kala Chana Chaat.
WHY THE KABABS ARE CALLED CHAPLI?
As stated above these kababs hail from Peshawar, Pakistan. Pashto is the dominant language in this region. In Pashto, chaprikh/chapdikh/chapleet all mean flat. And what do you know! Chapli kababs are flat and long.
WHY CHAPLI KABABS BREAK?
Most people forget to add the egg and some type of flour. This recipe calls for rice flour because its tasteless, and strong binding agent. Corn flour can be substituted.
No, Shami Kababs are another form of kababs much different than Chapli Kababs. Shami Kababs recipe, ingredients, and cooking methods differ heavily from Chapli Kababs. Shami Kababs are a North Indian/Pakistani dish whereas Chapli Kabab is a true Pakistani Kabab recipe.
Pomegranate powder, also known as Anardana, adds the tangy kick to the recipe.
Yes freeze them, however, do not add the tomatoes, green chillies, cilantro and onions until ready to fry them. These fresh ingredients release water following thawing.
Yogurt can be omitted, however, if added Chapli Kababs will be soft.
CAN CHAPLI KABAB ONLY BE MADE IN BEEF?
No, It can be made in beef, goat (mutton), lamb, or chicken.
STEPS IN CHAPLI KABABS
- Mix in all the ingredients.
- Marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Shallow fry them and Enjoy!
- Powdered spices- These are added to enhance the taste, and dried pomegrade powder is add to bring some tangy-ness to the recipe.
- Egg- The egg helps with the tenderness and keep the kabab moist.
- Coriander seeds- Roughly hand crushed. This is a key ingredient in this recipe.
- Ground beef- The recipe will be high in protein. I usually make this recipe in 80/20 ground beef.
- Oil- The recipe calls for olive oil but you can substitute any kind of frying oil.
- Fresh ingredients- The four fresh ingredients can't be substituted with anything else, as it helps enhance the taste.
HOW TO MAKE CHAPLI KABABS?
WHAT TO PAIR THEM WITH?
Pair Chapli Kababs with some green chutney.
HOW TO STORE AND HOW LONG WILL THEY LAST?
Store the mixture up to 1-2 days in the refrigerator. After frying them, They will be okay in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. To freeze them, just shape the kababs then store them in between layers of parchment paper so kababs don't stick together, and of course, store them in an airtight container.
Let's Make Chapli Kababs!!!
Pakistani Beef Chapli Kababs
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 4 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- olive oil
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2½ tsp cumin powder
- 6 tsp crushed red pepper red chili flakes
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 5 tsp dried pomegranate powder anardana powder
- 1 tsp carom seeds ajwein (crushed)
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 onion diced
- 2 green pepper chopped
- ½ bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 tomato seedless, chopped
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 tomato thinly sliced
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients except the oil.
- Now add 2 tbsp of oil.
- Mix well with hands.
- Marinate it overnight or at least 2 hours.
- The next morning, in a plate, drop few drop of olive oil and scatter it.
- Shape the patties long and thin please refer to the video how to shape.
- In a fry pan, ⅓ cup of olive oil, let it heat up on stove on medium heat.
- Now place a kabab that you shaped in there, and let it cook properly then turn over the kabab and cook it properly on the other side also.
- It's done.
- Place it in a clean plate lined the plate with a paper towel. Enjoy Chapli Kabab with Green Chutney.
Leave a comment & rate this recipe