Pakistani Mutton Handi is arguably one of the easiest subcontinental recipes. Marinate, pressure, and cook - this is quite literally the entire process. The versatility is astounding: it’s great for a side at your next party, or for a weeknight comfort meal.
WHAT IS MUTTON HANDI?
Pakistani Mutton Handi is a yogurt-and-onion based gravy wrapped in Mutton (goat meat) along with whole and powdered spices. This originated in North India and Pakistan region just like Charsi Karahi, Rogan Josh, and Chicken Biryani.
It's best to marinate the mutton handi overnight ( 7-8 hours).
In the Instant Pot, cook the mutton for 15 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
Mutton - Also known as goat meat.
Yogurt- This curry is yogurt based.
Onion & Oil- Fry the onion in oil until brown.
Whole Spices- They enhance the taste.
Powdered spices- They enhance the taste and red chili powder adjusts the spice level.
Dried Kasuri Methi- To enhance the taste
HOW TO COOK MUTTON HANDI?
WHAT TO SERVE WITH AND PAIR WITH IT?
Let's Make Mutton Handi!!!
Pakistani Mutton Handi
- Instant Pot
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 mace javitri
- 4 cloves
- 4 black peppercorns
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1 tbsp dried kasuri methi
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- Add oil in a fry pan on medium high heat and heat it up.
- Add onion, sauté it until it's brown.
- Add meat, onion mixture with oil, ginger garlic paste, all the whole spices, powder spices, green peppers, cilantro in Instant pot's pot.
- Mix well, and close it with the lid or wrap a foil on top.
- Marinate it 7-8 hours in refrigerator.
- Remove the lid or foil.
- Mix well, and select pressure, pressure it for 15 minutes or until the meat is done or tender.
- Let the steam vent and open the lid.
- Mix well, now let it cook open on sauté mode for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the Instant pot.
- Garnish with dried kasuri methi and heavy whipping cream.
- Serve it hot with a naan or a chapati, enjoy!