Introducing the delicious and mouth-watering Tender Homemade Pakistani Chicken Tikka, the ultimate barbecue delicacy from Pakistan. This amazing treat is made by marinating chicken breast in a few basic ingredients and homemade Tikka Masala(spice blend), giving it a unique and unforgettable flavor.
TABLE OF CONTENT
- What is Chicken Tikka?
- Difference between Chicken Tandoori and Chicken Tikka?
- How big do we cut the chicken breast for the Chicken Tikka?
- Steps in Chicken Tikka
- What can Chicken Tikka eaten in?
- How to make Chicken Tikka?
- The Chicken Tikka Recipe
WHAT IS CHICKEN TIKKA?
Tender Homemade Pakistani Chicken Tikka is chunks of chicken breasts wrapped in a homemade Tikka Masala (spice blend) and strewn on skewers. They are tender, juicy treats for your tastebuds like other Pakistani barbecue delicacies such as Seekh Kabab and Bihari Kababs. This appetizer blends the filling nature of an entree with the nimbleness of an appetizer.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CHICKEN TANDOORI AND CHICKEN TIKKA?
Chicken Tandoori is red in color, as compared to chicken Tikka which is brown or orange-ish in color. Tandoori is made of chicken quarters and Chicken Tikka consists of Chicken breast chunks. The masala mixture is quite distinct in both.
HOW BIG DO WE CUT THE CHICKEN BREAST FOR CHICKEN TIKKA?
Cut the chicken breast into about half-inch to one-inch square pieces for the optimal Chicken Tikka.
STEPS IN CHICKEN TIKKA?
- Make the homemade Tikka Masala.
- Smoke the Chicken.
- Marinate the Chicken.
- Grill the Chicken
WHAT CAN CHICKEN TIKKA EATEN IN?
It tastes great by itself, however, you can add:
- in a sandwich
- in a salad
- as a pizza topping
- in a wrap
- in a taco
- Chicken- Chicken breast is preferred but chicken thigh can be subtituted.
- Lemon juice- For a tarty sour kick to the chicken tikka.
- Homemade chicken tikka- This comes together in no time. It only requires mixing some powder spices together.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN TIKKA?
- When grilling wrap the chicken skewer in foil this step will make the chicken soft and juicy. The chicken will not lose all of water.
- If grilled directly the chicken turn out to be dry and rubbery.
- Once the chicken is cooked in foil, then open and char it on direct flame.
- Always smoke the marinated chicken and not after cooking.
- Marinate at least 2 hours. The longer it sits with marination, the better and tender it tastes. Overnight to couple of days will be great.
WHAT TO PAIR THIS WITH?
This Chicken Tikka recipe pairs perfectly with Pakistani Green Chutney.
Let's Make Chicken Tikka!!!
Tender Homemade Pakistani Chicken Tikka
- Barbecue grill
- Aluminium foil
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- olive oil spray
- food color
Ingredients for the paste
- chaat masala
- fresh lemon juice
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients for the paste.
- Blend it for 2 minutes in a blender until it all the ingredients turn into a paste.
- In a bowl, add chicken, then the paste, and food coloring.
- Mix well.
- Then add a little steel bowl on top of the chicken, place a lit coal on the steel bowl.
- Add 1 tsp of olive oil, as soon as the smoke comes out you'd need to cover the bowl to capture the smoke for 3 minutes.
- Lift the lid, remove the steel bowl with coal and discard it.
- Mix it well again.
- Cover it with an airtight lid and place it in refrigerator.
- After 2 hours to overnight, in a baking pan soak the skewers in water for 5 minutes if they are wooden.
- Take the chicken mixture out of the refrigerator.
- Start applying the chicken on the skewers.
- Wrap each skewer in aluminum foil.
- Twisting each end. (Refer to the video or process shot.)
- Turn on the barbecue grill and preheat.
- Place each skewers on the grill, and cook for 10 mins on each side.
- Make sure it's cooked from all sides.
- Take the foil wrapped skewers off the grill.
- Unwrap the foil from the skewers.
- Spray the chicken skewers so it won't stick to the grill.
- Spray the grill with olive oil spray also.
- Then lay each skewer without foil on the grill.
- Char it on all sides.
- After 3 minutes take it off the grill.
- Garnish with fresh lemon juice and chaat masala.
- Serve it with chutney.