The preparation of Grilled Authentic Tender Tandoori Chicken is a simple and widely popular recipe, often found on the menus of Indian and Pakistani restaurants. This blog post aims to comprehensively delve into every aspect necessary for crafting the most authentic rendition of Tandoori Chicken.
TABLE OF CONTENT
- What is Tandoori Chicken?
- Steps for Tandoori Chicken
- Difference between Tandoori Chicken and Chicken Tikka
- Which Chicken cut to use for Tandoori Chicken?
- How to make Tandoori Chicken?
- How to store it?
- What to pair with Tandoori Chicken?
- Other Pakistani Appetizers Recipes
- Tandoori Chicken Recipe
WHAT IS TANDOORI CHICKEN?
Grilled Authentic Tandoori Chicken is a distinct and delectable dish achieved by grilling chicken marinated with Homemade Tandoori Masala. Originating from Pakistan and North India, it stands among the most extraordinary Pakistani recipes. I can confidently assure you that my recipe surpasses the renditions found in restaurants, presenting an impeccable blend of tender texture and enticing smoky flavors. Don't miss the opportunity to savor this delightful Pakistani appetizer recipes.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TANDOORI CHICKEN AND CHICKEN TIKKA
Chicken Tikka consists of succulent chunks of chicken breast combined with Homemade Tikka Masala, resulting in a vibrant yellow hue. On the other hand, Tandoori Chicken is prepared using Homemade Tandoori Masala, infusing it with a captivating red coloration.
STEPS FOR TANDOORI CHICKEN
- Make the Homemade Tandoori Masala.
- Prepare the chicken.
- Prepare the marination.
- Marinate the chicken.
- Grill the chicken.
WHICH CHICKEN CUT TO USE FOR TANDOORI CHICKEN?
Chicken quarters are the recommended choice for preparing Tandoori Chicken, ensuring best results. Additionally, it is advisable to make cuts in the chicken to facilitate proper penetration of the marinade, allowing it to infuse the meat thoroughly.
Setting aside marination for at least 2 hours or upto 3 days in refrigerator. Longer the marination, tender is the chicken. Using aluminum foil and parchment paper, prevents the loss of excessive water from chicken. This keeps chicken juicier.
At least 2 hours or upto 3 days in refrigerator. but I personally like to marinate for 3 days.
Preheat the oven at 450-500 Fahrenheit, place the aluminum foil wrapped chicken in the oven on each side 10 minutes. Next open the foil and then place the chicken on skewer on a baking tray without foil. This time cook it on broil for 2-3 minute on each side. It's ready!
Using aluminum foil and parchment paper, prevents the loss of excessive water from chicken. This keeps chicken juicier. The chicken won't stick to the foil if there is a parchment paper in between the chicken and foil.
- Chicken Quarters- Ensure that you create diagonal incisions or slits in the chicken quarters upto the bone to allow the marinade to penetrate the meat.
- Papaya chunks- The inclusion of papaya chunks guarantees the tenderness of the chicken.
- Homemade Tandoori Masala- For the utmost flavor, I suggest using Homemade Tandoori Masala. However, if needed, you can readily substitute it with a boxed Tandoori Masala.
HOW TO MAKE TANDOORI CHICKEN?
Add Chicken tandoori masala, yogurt, olive oil, ginger garlic paste, papaya chunks, green peppers, cilantro, and lemon.
Blend and set aside.
In the chicken quarters make slits.
Mix well in the chicken.
Cover and refrigerate.
Let's setup, baking tray line it up with foil and parchment paper on top of the foil.
Add the chicken onto the skewers.
Wrap the chicken, make sure the chicken is wrapped properly.
Grill both sides.
Open the foil.
Grill open on both sides until charred.
HOW TO STORE IT?
For storage purposes, Tandoori Chicken can be kept in the refrigerator for a recommended duration of 3-4 days. Alternatively, if you opt to freeze it, Tandoori Chicken can maintain its quality in the freezer for approximately 2-3 months. When the time comes to serve, simply thaw the chicken and reheat it in the oven for best results.
WHAT TO PAIR TANDOORI CHICKEN WITH?
Pair Tandoori Chicken with Mint Chutney, Cilantro chutney, or green chutney raita. When hosting a party Tandoori Chicken pairs with Chicken Biryani, Mutton Korma, and don't forget dessert Kheer or Tres Lech Ras Malai Cake.
Other Pakistani Appetizer Recipes
Let's Make Tandoori Chicken!!!
Grilled Authentic Tender Tandoori Chicken
- bbq grill
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp cilantro
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- For this recipe I highly urge you to watch the full video. We made this video in great detail so every step is clear.
Let's work on the marination...
- Cut little slits in the chicken quarters.
- Add chicken in a bowl.
- Set aside.
- In a blender, add yogurt, olive oil, ginger garlic paste, papaya chunks, vinegar, green peppers, cilantro, and fresh lemon juice.
- Blend for 2 minutes.
- Add the mixture in the blender and massage it in the chicken for 5 minutes continuously.
- Smoke with a coal.
- Seal the bowl with an air-tight lid or a cling wrap.
- Marinate for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days in refrigerator
Let's Assemble and Grill Now...
- After 24 hours, take the bowl out the refrigerator, remove the lid.
- Place the chicken on skewers.
- Wrap it in an aluminum foil and parchment paper. Make sure it's seal from all sides. (see the video)
- Place the chicken on a pre-heated bbq grill on a high temperature.
- Cook it on both sides, 13 minutes each side. (see the video)
- Unwrap the foil.
- Spray some olive oil on the grill.
- Place the skewer on the grill.
- Grill it on medium-heat for 3 minute each side.
- Take it off the grill.
- Garnish with cilantro, fresh lemon juice, and chaat masala.