Pakistani Mutton Kalia (Kaliya) is a colorful blend of whole and powdered spices in a gravy. This dish can be made expeditiously, and is convenient for a weekend night!
WHAT IS KALIA (KALIYA)?
Pakistani Mutton Kalia (Kaliya) is a mixture of whole and powdered spices in a thin runny gravy. This recipe is a quintessential Pakistani comfort food. It's really quick just like Kali Mirchi Ka Salan, Mutton Charsi Karahi, and Mutton Stew.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COOK THE MEAT IN THE INSTANT POT?
It takes 10-12 minutes in the Instant pot to cook mutton. However, every Instant Pot varies in timings and it also depends on the quality of the meat.
- Add everything to the Instant pot.
- Mutton- Goat meat
- Whole and powered spices- To give the recipe some warmth and flavor. Water- To have more gravy.
- Onion- Brown the onion.
- Oil- Any neutral/cooking oil would work. Yogurt- Only little bit of yogurt.
HOW TO MAKE KALIA (KALIYA)?
WHAT TO SERVE THIS WITH?
To serve this recipe with chapati. Nothing like Kalia and chapati in this world.
Let's make Kalia (Kaliya)!!!
Pakistani Mutton Kalia (Kaliya)
- Instant Pot can use a Pressure Cooker
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 green cardamom
- 1 black cardamom
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp salt
- In an Instant Pot, on saute mode, add olive oil.
- Add onion, sauté it until brown.
- Then add whole spices and mix well.
- Add ginger garlic paste, sauté it
- Next add meat and sauté it until the meat changes color.
- Add yogurt, salt, and powdered spices.
- Now add water.
- Mix well!
- Pressure for 10-12 minutes.
- Release the steam, and mix well.
- Add in green cardamom powder and garam masala powder
- Serve with a fresh chapati.